Temporary Sulcata pen

Jlsretics

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
I have to move out of country for a year for my job and my parents (they got me into reptiles) are going to tortoise sit my 6 year old, 25lb male Sulcata. We built this pen where he will live and will also get outside several hours a day except for the winter. I have 2 mercury vapor lights for heat and UVB along with 1 250 watt ceramic heater during the day and at night the vapor lights go off and 2 additional 150 watt ceramic heaters go on (in addition to the 250 watt. The basking spot is 105 during the day and 90 at night and the cool side is 80 during the day and 70 at night. The pen is 10 ft by 6 ft and he has 2 hides, 1 on the hot and 1 on the cool side so he doesn't have to choose between a "burrow" and the temperature that he wants. He gets soaked every morning for hydration (he sometimes drinks right when soaked) and to make his enormous bowel movement's easier!! I have included some pictures. Any suggestions? IMG_0642.jpg IMG_0625.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
He is too big for overhead heat lamps and CHEs. They are going to dry out, desiccate and possibly burn the carapace. I also think that hay substrate is going to mold and/or get very dusty.

I think you'd be better served by heating the whole room to 80 day and night (70 is too cool…) and then offering a heated box on one end with a Kane mat and a RHP set on a thermostat and a timer. Set the thermostat for 95 degrees, and the timer for about 12 hours a day. That will give the tortoise a warm area each day, and the room temp of 80 will keep the tortoise warm enough during the day.