Square or Rectangle

Status
Not open for further replies.

codyv34

5 Year Member
I decided that igore Deserves more space then his 54gallon Rubbermaid. so with in the next few months I'm going to build an wooden enclosure. My question is if theres better way to go when building. Lets say i build a 4'x2' enclosure, that would be a total of 8 sq.ft , or i could build a 3'x3' enclosure, which is 9 sq.ft, so the 3x3 sounds better because technically there is More room but is it more functional space.

If you understand my point just comment and let me know what you think

thanks, Cody

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My opinion, a square enclosure is harder to give varying temps for them to go to. Rectangle shape is easier. Also I think rectangle is easier to decorate with the hides, water dish etc.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
Yeah the 3x3 sounds good for space, however I saw someone build a round enclosure with those curved blocks..and it was pretty cool..there for no corners..it was cool..they had it in there back yard

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I agree with Barb, a rectangle shape allows you to create temperature gradients more easily. easier to reach all of the areas.

slowpoke

5 Year Member
colorado springs, colorado
i went with a L shap with a hot side and a cool side , they hang out in the middle most of the day and sleep on the cooler side at night , when they wake they are on the hot side for a while then to the middle its 5foot long X 3foot wide section with a 3 foot long x 3 foot wide section put together to make the L, saves a bit of room but still really big and roomy for them...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Another reason for a rectangle, is it gives the feel of more room. The tortoise can walk further before he comes to the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.