Temporary/travel storage bin enclosure

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
So Rosie's nice wooden enclosure ended up getting the water barrier destroyed and thus the moisture and substrate bugs ended up deep in the wood rendering it a total loss.

So, since we are moving in the next few months we decided to hold off on building a new enclosure until we know what space we're working with (and outside vs inside areas).

So, I present to you my 54 gallon Rubbermaid temporary enclosure. Would work for hatchlings as well. Rosie is a 5 year old redfoot.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1482078197.838133.jpg

The uv light is a tube fixture attached on the underside back of the lid. The heat source is a CHE on a thermostat 24/7 to keep one end around 90 and let the other end be the cooler side (more like cooler middle) and the large rectangle cutout will soon have a plexiglass access door. The CHE is suspended from metal brackets under the plastic lid rim.

This is the underside, pre-cutting. I used a jigsaw with a Pvc blade and taped the lid just to help prevent cracking.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1482078347.209348.jpg

Just thought I'd share for those needing ideas!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would line the cut out hole with tin foil to help keep the plastic from getting too hot and melting. I would also not recommend this for anything but a hatchling upto a year, two maybe tops. It's too small for a 5 year old RF. I totally understand your circumstances, but how about adding another box to the end of this one to give more appropriate space. Two holes lined up end to end and then either fit tight together, or a tunnel from plastic lined cardboard would work for the tunnel from one box to the other.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
On warmer days I let her out to romp in the yard. Today was 72 so she got some sun and a soak.

But, that's why I listed it as a temporary enclosure since it beats the other option of a 20 gallon tank and didn't want people to think its a good permanent lifelong enclosure.

With showing/selling the house we'll be taking her to the pet sitter off and on so no one messes with her and this just lets her keep some normalcy throughout all of the moving process.

Do appreciate the concern though! My goal for the next place is something akin to an indoor sunroom for winter along with a couple hundred square feet outdoor pen for summer.

She used to have an 8x4 foot indoor pen so I know she misses the roaming space.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I like that you are making a viewing window on top. Back when I used the large plastic tote, I missed being able to see the tortoises. Good job!