Help With a Temporary Enclosure!

HelloWorld

I am moving in less than two weeks. I have a 4-year old redfoot tortoise living in a 6ft x 4ft enclosure, an enclosure that we are going to have to dismantle for the move! I need something to keep my tortoise in for 2-3 days, while we are moving her enclosure, rebuilding it and setting everything up for her, but whenever I look up DIYs for 'temporary enclosures', they are talking about much longer spans of time than 2-3 days, like more in the realm of 3 months or more. Obviously I don't need anything that elaborate.

I'm thinking of just buying a large rubbermaid tote and stabbing holes in the lid for air. I have no idea how to rig a heat lamp into a plastic lid, especially if this is only going to be for a maximum of 3 days. (Probably only 2) Will my tortoise be okay without a heat lamp for that long? She will get daily time outside.

NewTortEnthusiast

Location (City and/or State)
Bloomington, CA
If it will probably be only 2 days, and your tort will get daily outside time, I don't believe any heating is necessary.

What you can do If you want your tort to get some kind of heat, super simple, just get a waterbottle or two and fill them with really hot water. Then you bury the water bottle(s) deep in whatever substrate you are using; or if you dont have a deep enough substrate you could just place the bottles right up against the side of the tote or whatever you are using. The heat will radiate through the substrate directly, or through the wall of the tote and through the substrate. Your little tort will eventually find the area that is warmer and could lay there for a while. It won't last that long though, but it is something you can do if you want your tort to get some kind of heating.

daniellenc

Maryland
If the area it will be kept is under 70-75 degrees some heat wouldn’t hurt. I cut a hole in the top of the tote, line with foil, and put the CHE on top.

HelloWorld

Thank you guys! This was stressing me out but your suggestions are very helpful, thanks so much! Since it probably won't be any colder than 70 degrees in the room where she'll be staying, I think she'll probably be fine without a heat lamp. :)

NewTortEnthusiast

Bloomington, CA
Thank you guys! This was stressing me out but your suggestions are very helpful, thanks so much! Since it probably won't be any colder than 70 degrees in the room where she'll be staying, I think she'll probably be fine without a heat lamp. :)

If you wanted to, you could also just raise the temperature in the room she will be in. A smaller heater or something. Again not really necessary. I do the warm water bottle thing because it just feels like it does more in my opinion.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
In case of severe storms, hurricanes and the rare cold snaps, mine come inside the house and stay in small totes. Sometimes for 48 hours. Never below 70 degrees or above 85 and there never has been an issue.
They're pretty resilient as long as they are otherwise healthy. And 48 hours without sunlight is not a big deal.
And HEAT and TUPPERWARE lids are a dangerous combination