Squash VS Carrots

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
squash, as someone who juices a lot, I know carrots are high in sugar, making them very sweet.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Kinda on that same note... being fall is right around the corner I was just wondering if pumpkin is okay?

dmmj said:
squash, as someone who juices a lot, I know carrots are high in sugar, making them very sweet.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
AnthonyC said:
Kinda on that same note... being fall is right around the corner I was just wondering if pumpkin is okay?

dmmj said:
I have read alot of people giving there torts pumpkin Tiago loves it but hard to get in UK except halloween lol!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is a huge pumpkin patch adjacent to my ranch. They supply my whole area. When the season is done, any leftover pumpkins, leaves and flowers get tilled back into the soil. He has given me permission to scavenge as many as I want from November 1st until they get disced. Here's what I grabbed last year and where I grabbed it from.
1zei2qf.jpg

So, um, yeah. Squash and pumpkin is fine. Carrots are okay once in a while, just not all the time.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
That is excellent news especially since I'm in the pumpkin capital of NY!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Squash and pumpkins are technically fruits by the way- any veggie with seeds is.

Squash provides almost all of the nutrients carrots do, and you have to wonder how a wild or semi-wild tort would ever eat a carrot?

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
C'mon now! It's Pine Island, NY. Right in the heart of the black dirt region! I know for a fact it's the onion capital but now "I DUB THEE PUMPKIN CAPITAL" as well! ;):D

GBtortoises said:
"That is excellent news especially since I'm in the pumpkin capital of NY!"

Okay, I'm curious, being a fellow New York Stater, where is the pumpkin capital of NY?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I did not know that. Now I do! I'm still thinking the Pumpkin capital of New York State might more likely the Middleburgh valley area. Which by the way is now totally devastated from Irene. I work just a few minutes away and it's a total disaster.

Either way, truthfully, we aren't that well known for our Pumpkins in this state! Apples yes, Maple Syrup yes, dairy farms yes, pumpkins not so much.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Onions! Don't forget the onions!! ;) If you have a chance take a look at Orange County's Times Herald Record online. It shows Pine Island and it talks about the devastation to the crops. I stopped at a local farmer's market yesterday afternoon and the vendors were saying that pumpkin prices are going to be sky-high this year b/c of Irene.

GBtortoises said:
I did not know that. Now I do! I'm still thinking the Pumpkin capital of New York State might more likely the Middleburgh valley area. Which by the way is now totally devastated from Irene. I work just a few minutes away and it's a total disaster.

Either way, truthfully, we aren't that well known for our Pumpkins in this state! Apples yes, Maple Syrup yes, dairy farms yes, pumpkins not so much.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
AnthonyC said:

dmmj said:

I save the fresh pumpkin seeds and pulverize them in my mixer...great for any worms in your torts. I make up several batches and freeze them, thawing out one a month. :)

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Thanks Terry!!! That is definitely great advice!!! Man I love this forum... who would've imagined pumpkin seeds for deworming?!?!

Terry Allan Hall said:
AnthonyC said:

dmmj said:

I save the fresh pumpkin seeds and pulverize them in my mixer...great for any worms in your torts. I make up several batches and freeze them, thawing out one a month. :)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Terry Allan Hall said:
[I save the fresh pumpkin seeds and pulverize them in my mixer...great for any worms in your torts. I make up several batches and freeze them, thawing out one a month. :)

AnthonyC said:
Thanks Terry!!! That is definitely great advice!!! Man I love this forum... who would've imagined pumpkin seeds for deworming?!?!

Gourd seeds seem to work, as well (related, you know?)

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
What about the "mini" pumpkins? Are those good for them too? Bowser is still small so I dont want to buy anything too big yet.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
GBtortoises said:
I dry pumpkin seeds, salt them and eat them like sunflower seeds. Maybe that's why I don't have worms!:p

T. M. I. :rolleyes:

drgnfly2265 said:
What about the "mini" pumpkins? Are those good for them too? Bowser is still small so I dont want to buy anything too big yet.

Or just buy some UNSWEETENED canned pumpkin.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
On pumpkin seed as a dewormer- clinical trials show that it has no effect as a de-wormer or preventative agent, but there are reams of anecdotal evidence for it. It certainly does no harm, which is more than you can say about a lot of folk medicines.

Status
Not open for further replies.