Squeaky Noises at Night

Mia&Felicity

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Hello,
I am in my room right now, with my lights of because it's my tortoise's bedtime, and I noticed that she is making so squeaky noises. They sound a bit like tiny sneezes. I picked her up just now because I was reading up on it and her nose isn't bubbly or wet in any way. She is a 2-year-old hermann's tortoise. Her temperature is 71.6 degrees Fahrenheit (22.something°c). But it's that warm because her lights just went out. Her head goes in when she does it too. I hope she ok...
Many thanks,
Mia.

P.s. I think she did this last year too, and she was fine, but I am just wondering about it.

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
Hello,
I am in my room right now, with my lights of because it's my tortoise's bedtime, and I noticed that she is making so squeaky noises. They sound a bit like tiny sneezes. I picked her up just now because I was reading up on it and her nose isn't bubbly or wet in any way. She is a 2-year-old hermann's tortoise. Her temperature is 71.6 degrees Fahrenheit (22.something°c). But it's that warm because her lights just went out. Her head goes in when she does it too. I hope she ok...
Many thanks,
Mia.

P.s. I think she did this last year too, and she was fine, but I am just wondering about it.
You should try to raise the temps and humidity a bit and see if that improves the situation.

Reptilony

QC, CAN

tortoisekev

UK
So to focus on the noises (because yes the temps need to be a bit higher, closer to 30*C under the basking light and 20-25*C at the other end) I have heard mine make noises too. Usually only when expelling air quickly in order to create space inside his shell to pulls his head and legs in if he gets scared. Sometimes as well he looks like he’s heaven breathing because his arms are sorting of pumping up and down... and that’s actually in order to help pump air in and out (because tortoises don’t have a diaphragm like humans). I have occasionally heard noises when he’s done this.

Other than that I can’t help. Someone else may have heard similar noises and can help.