Is It Possible That My Tortoise Is Afraid Of Her Hideout?

Location (City and/or State)
Redwood City
Hello everyone, I just got my baby Hermann's tortoise Penny a week ago. She has two hideouts. One is a half-log, and the other is built-in to the enclosure that I have. She seems to love her half log, as she spends lots of time in it. But she never goes into the built in one. She slept in it one time, but other than that, she's always avoided it. Is it possible that baby Penny is afraid of the hideout?

Thanks,
Omer

P.S: Is it normal that she spends so much time in her half-log? I'm worried that her lights are too hot, but im not sure how to fix that. Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She might just prefer the coziness of the smaller hide.
Post a pic of the enclosure and give us a run down of your temps and someone can help you fix any problems.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
The built in hide is too roomy for her. I believe you can remove that hide panel. I' do that if I were you. The half log is more enclosed and has a low roof that's why he likes it.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Ok, but I was always told to provide multiple hideouts, so should I purchase another one, or should I take out the panel and leave it as it is?
Take out the panel and provide plenty of hiding opportunity. Half logs, piles of moss, driftwood, etc.

Redwood City
OK, will do! Im sorry if its too much, but should I put her food in that space? I've noticed that the heat lamp is drying out her greens, and making them somewhat crispy.