Outdoor Hideout for Red-footed tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Hi!
I am looking for a commercial outdoor hideout for my red-footed tortoise. I am not crafty AT ALL and I have very little free time, so, making one myself is not possible for me. I need to buy something already made. My girl is about 9 inches long and 6 or 7 inches wide, I was looking for specific tortoise hideouts but I have not found anything that would fit her. I was wonering if I could pull something like this one off? We live in sunny south Florida.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B1J69RQY/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I would do something about the ramp to make sure she can't fall from the sides, put tile on the sides or something. Could she climb this? I have even thought of burying it a couple of inches so that the ramp is not very steep.

Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Attachments

• KOYA.jpeg
    KOYA.jpeg
    305.1 KB · Views: 6

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
This is on sale for $85 and not gonna lie, I'm a little suspicious of the price b/c these usually sell for around $150 - $250 depending on the size, but I did get mine for around $85 so maybe sometimes its just a matter of finding a sale:

I have one of these (the smaller "DP Dog Palace Breeze" not the larger one they list for the same price which is also why I'm a little suspicious of them actually having any in stock) but in any case, I an attest they are lightweight, easy to manage, and put together well (keep the rain out and the temp inside fairly consistent). It is gigantic for my Russian, but he's able to go in and out the swinging door himself, which he figured out on his own so would be well sized for a RF.

This is spec details: http://www.asldoghouses.com/doghouse-products/dp-hunter-doghouse.html

Originally I had it set up with a heater and everything b/c it has a place for electrical, but in the end I decided to just bring my guy in at night so its really only used for shade...

No doubt not as good as one made per tom's instructions and you could possibly hire a handyman to make one, but for store bought, I did a lot of research and this was the only one I found that was legit insulated...

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
This is on sale for $85 and not gonna lie, I'm a little suspicious of the price b/c these usually sell for around $150 - $250 depending on the size, but I did get mine for around $85 so maybe sometimes its just a matter of finding a sale:

I have one of these (the smaller "DP Dog Palace Breeze" not the larger one they list for the same price which is also why I'm a little suspicious of them actually having any in stock) but in any case, I an attest they are lightweight, easy to manage, and put together well (keep the rain out and the temp inside fairly consistent). It is gigantic for my Russian, but he's able to go in and out the swinging door himself, which he figured out on his own so would be well sized for a RF.

This is spec details: http://www.asldoghouses.com/doghouse-products/dp-hunter-doghouse.html

Originally I had it set up with a heater and everything b/c it has a place for electrical, but in the end I decided to just bring my guy in at night so its really only used for shade...

No doubt not as good as one made per tom's instructions and you could possibly hire a handyman to make one, but for store bought, I did a lot of research and this was the only one I found that was legit insulated...

I think the listing is supposed to be for the solar fans - thats why same price. It's functionally the same with slightly different configuration on the mounting part. I'm 99% sure thats the case

If someone didnt know, it might be enough of an error that they could force petco to honor the purchase (or at least refund it).

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
I think the listing is supposed to be for the solar fans - thats why same price. It's functionally the same with slightly different configuration on the mounting part. I'm 99% sure thats the case

If someone didnt know, it might be enough of an error that they could force petco to honor the purchase (or at least refund it).
You might be right, they are selling the fan system, not the house. :(

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello fellow South Floridian.
Outdoor Redfoot enclosures can be very easy and Inexpensive to erect here. But Redfoot require a lot of room.
I'm not aware of any pre built tortoise enclosures. But I've seen outdoor, wire mesh "chicken coops" that could work.
Look at my YOUTUBE video, REDFOOT HABITAT FLORIDA STYLE.
I built that enclosures years ago for like $200.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Oh my God, that habitat is AMAZING. I thought my tortoise had a lot o space (I also fenced a section of my yard, but not as nice/large as yours) but it is nothing compared to that!!
May I ask what this is:

1681263733548.png

It looks roomy, dark and easy to assemble.

That is some seriously amazing enclosure!!! I will have something like that one day. For now my girl lives alone in a 7 by 7 section of my yard with several hibiscus plants.

Cute chihuahua by the way! I also have one of those, lol.

Thank you for sharing, loved loved it.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Oh my God, that habitat is AMAZING. I thought my tortoise had a lot o space (I also fenced a section of my yard, but not as nice/large as yours) but it is nothing compared to that!!
May I ask what this is:

View attachment 356011

It looks roomy, dark and easy to assemble.

That is some seriously amazing enclosure!!! I will have something like that one day. For now my girl lives alone in a 7 by 7 section of my yard with several hibiscus plants.

Cute chihuahua by the way! I also have one of those, lol.

Thank you for sharing, loved loved it.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles

Ah that makes sense!!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Please update us with some photos.
Your REDFOOT will also need an outdoor pool of some sort. Something shallow that is sunk into the ground. And lots of shady areas

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Ok, I will now post the whole story / pictures and PLEASE critique as much as you want, I love feedback, tell me what you see I am doing wrong and help me get her the best enclosure I can, just keep in mind that I rent and I can't do something permanent to the property. I am very committed to my pets, she will have a nice life, I will move with her whenever I have to.
So, a few months ago I found this girl on a shopping plaza's parking lot, I asked around to see if anyone knew where she came from and I could not find any info on her. I have kept reptiles (lizards, snakes and alligators) for 20 years, I used to work at a reptile zoo, too, for 5 years. I know my fair share about reptiles, however, I had never had a chelonid, the feeling that my pet might outlive me made me hesitant to get one. I come from south america, in my native country, reedfooted tortoises are VERY common, you often see them in the wild and lots and lots of people keep them as pets, they are considered to bring good luck, so, often times, when people find them, they bring them home and keep them in their backyards as semi-wild pets, they are very very common. When I saw a red-footed tortoise crossing my path in Florida, fate decided she was coming home with me. I went straight to a Home Depot, got a big plastic tub and potting soil and brought her home. I thought about just letting her live free in my backyard (that is how 99% of people keep them in my country), given that my space is all fenced (I also own a 4 lb chihuahua, i made sure the fence has no holes where she could escape), but I then decided it was best to give her a safe space, so I fenced a corner of my yard, put some hibiscus plants there, a shallow water dish and built a simple hide with 2 bricks and a large tile.

I am trying to get her a space that meets her requirements, that particular corner, because of the way it is positioned, has a side that is always shaded, no sun hits it, and the rest gets sun, more or less depending on the season, less in winter and more in the summer, but always with a side in perpetual shade.

I named my girl KOYA, she seems to be in fairly good health, although there is some pyramiding, which is a new concept for me.

Please, take a look and let me know any wrongs you see, I will try to correct them as best as I can.

Thank you, Ed, for the draining pipes, they made a great hide, she went straight for them!!1681689948089.jpeg

1681690027701.jpeg

Attachments

• KOYA.jpeg
    KOYA.jpeg
    305.1 KB · Views: 5
  • KOYA 6.jpeg
    KOYA 6.jpeg
    586.2 KB · Views: 5
  • KOYA 3.jpeg
    KOYA 3.jpeg
    604.5 KB · Views: 5

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
It IS true about the see through fence. I'd probably put up a second barrier in the form of lumber. Because it's inexpensive and can be easily screwed together.

All in all. I like the enclosure. The flat bricks are great. The multiple hides and the water bowl are fantastic.
Keep in mind that anything, including the new pipes can be used as a ladder if placed close to one of those low side walls.
My suggestion is to watch her. See if she climbs and where. She if she tries to get through and how. And modify parts of it as you can.
Make sure that that area of the yard doesn't flood. (And you'd be able to tell this week)
Make sure that there are no dogs ever on the other side of your privacy fence. If there are, youll need another layer of security there. A dog will want to chew on her.
MAKE SURE THAT YOUR GARDENER KNOWS ABOUT HER.
A loose tortoise is no match for a lawn mower and you probably already know how quickly a RF can dissappear into the grass.
Keep the Chihuahua away. My Suki doesn't pay any attention to my tortoises. But she is never out there without my supervision. And my tortoises never roam the area that my dog poops in.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
It IS true about the see through fence. I'd probably put up a second barrier in the form of lumber. Because it's inexpensive and can be easily screwed together.

All in all. I like the enclosure. The flat bricks are great. The multiple hides and the water bowl are fantastic.
Keep in mind that anything, including the new pipes can be used as a ladder if placed close to one of those low side walls.
My suggestion is to watch her. See if she climbs and where. She if she tries to get through and how. And modify parts of it as you can.
Make sure that that area of the yard doesn't flood. (And you'd be able to tell this week)
Make sure that there are no dogs ever on the other side of your privacy fence. If there are, youll need another layer of security there. A dog will want to chew on her.
MAKE SURE THAT YOUR GARDENER KNOWS ABOUT HER.
A loose tortoise is no match for a lawn mower and you probably already know how quickly a RF can dissappear into the grass.
Keep the Chihuahua away. My Suki doesn't pay any attention to my tortoises. But she is never out there without my supervision. And my tortoises never roam the area that my dog poops in.
On the other side of the fence there are no dogs, it is a community grass area that people rarely go to, it's like the back of the houses. Mi chi doesn't care about Koya. The first day I let her snif her, closely supervised and she did not care much, she doesn't care a lot about my other reptiles either, or any other animal, she doesn't like dogs very much, but that is about it, she is not outside very much either.

Regarding floding, about half of the tortoise enclosure DOES flod when there is VERY heavy rain, like last week, but I have an inside box with a heat mat that i keep for her, I put her inside whenever it pours or the temperatures reach the 60s. I work from home, so, it is highly unlikely that it's raining hard enough that it'll flod and I am not home to put her inside, and even if that were to happen, my sister lives next door and she also works from home, so 99.999% chance we will always be able to put her in her box whenever there is heavy rain. She was in her box last night actually, and even with the storm, it did not flod.

I will look into blocking her view a bit more, at the begining when I first put her there, she did try to go through the fence. I added something (don't know the name) so that she could not try to go through and it works about 80% of the time, but from time to time she still tries to go through, I was not aware that was an "issue" with this kind of tortoise, so, I will definitely look into something to add another layer of fencing.

I really appreiate the inputs, thanks a lot. I will post updated photos soon, if anyone else has any advice, please let them roll.

S.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
On the other side of the fence there are no dogs, it is a community grass area that people rarely go to, it's like the back of the houses. Mi chi doesn't care about Koya. The first day I let her snif her, closely supervised and she did not care much, she doesn't care a lot about my other reptiles either, or any other animal, she doesn't like dogs very much, but that is about it, she is not outside very much either.

Regarding floding, about half of the tortoise enclosure DOES flod when there is VERY heavy rain, like last week, but I have an inside box with a heat mat that i keep for her, I put her inside whenever it pours or the temperatures reach the 60s. I work from home, so, it is highly unlikely that it's raining hard enough that it'll flod and I am not home to put her inside, and even if that were to happen, my sister lives next door and she also works from home, so 99.999% chance we will always be able to put her in her box whenever there is heavy rain. She was in her box last night actually, and even with the storm, it did not flod.

I will look into blocking her view a bit more, at the begining when I first put her there, she did try to go through the fence. I added something (don't know the name) so that she could not try to go through and it works about 80% of the time, but from time to time she still tries to go through, I was not aware that was an "issue" with this kind of tortoise, so, I will definitely look into something to add another layer of fencing.

I really appreiate the inputs, thanks a lot. I will post updated photos soon, if anyone else has any advice, please let them roll.

S.
It sounds like you have a pretty good grasp on everything.
And yes. Any tortoise that can see a "world" outside will want to explore it.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
I was looking around and I found this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09MDZHHM2/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

What are your thoughts? Would this work? I want it to look aesthetic but also to be functional, safe and easy to set up. This is 12 inches (1 ft) high, I could put it on the inside of her fence so that the white fence is visible from the outside. I can get like 4 of these and put it there as soon as tomorrow. I also want to get 1 or 2 more plants. Other than hibiscus, what other plants can I put there? I have many potted tomato plants but I read their leaves are toxic. What other plants could I add? If anything I'd just get a couple more hibiscus, they're easy to care for and do well in the sun.