Stacked enclosure - insulation?

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
south Texas
So I'm building a stacked enclosure for my torts because of lack of space - one enclosure atop the other.

I saw in another thread (that I can't find now) that the lower enclosure will heat the top one so you should pad insulation between enclosures - what kind and how? Sandwich it between - plywood, insulation, plywood for flooring?

@ZEROPILOT I think it was one of your threads but not sure.

Souptugo

5 Year Member
Interesting. How big is your tortoise? What kind is it? The only worry I have is lighting in terms of UVB. sure you can get heat on the bottom but what about UVB? You cannot mount those bulbs sideways.

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
I should clarify - I'm worried that the top tank will get TOO hot. I'm using CHE to heat the separate enclosures right now. I'm wondering if I need to put insulation to keep the top tort from getting too toasty.

Souptugo - they are 2 redfoot torts, so I don't have to worry about a uvb light, because they get outdoors time. One is the size of my hand, one is the size of my palm. Carapace size, that is. I am mounting the CHE from the top using the cross braces. The enclosure will measure 3' x 8' and has 3 tanks. Think large enclosed bookshelf, but for tortoises. I am working on sealing the wood right now.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Anything I might have suggested. (And I don't remember) Would have been just a suggestion because I have never attempted to build such an enclosure.
I sure don't want to steer you wrong.
However, if you could take a photo or a drawing of what you intend to use, many of us, including myself could make an educated guess of what might and might not work.
Heat from a CHE is mostly projected downward.
But heat itself rises.
You might need separate, smaller. Lower wattage CHEs.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
So I'm building a stacked enclosure for my torts because of lack of space - one enclosure atop the other.

I saw in another thread (that I can't find now) that the lower enclosure will heat the top one so you should pad insulation between enclosures - what kind and how? Sandwich it between - plywood, insulation, plywood for flooring?

@ZEROPILOT I think it was one of your threads but not sure.
I made that suggestion in another post. I have seen on two occasions a tortoise cooked to death because it was placed in a stacked enclosure and the basking light below warmed the floor of the enclosure along with its own basking light to well over 120f. Even though this shop called me in to see if I could tell them what went wrong, it took twice for them to understand the problem.

I use stacked enclosures as you see below. But I build them as @Tom 's enclosed chamber thread, with two layers of 1/4" plywood sandwiching 1-1/2" rigid foam.

If you are going to stack enclosures, and hang basking bulbs, or CHE's from the top of the enclosure as I have here, I would definitely recommend insulating between. Hope this helps.

IMG_4115.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The heat rising works as a second heat source.
Thanks, Mark.
But, it over heats the enclosure on top, so an unwanted second heat source. The reason for insulation.
Just want to clarify, so someone doesn't take your post as it being a good second heat source.

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
I made that suggestion in another post. I have seen on two occasions a tortoise cooked to death because it was placed in a stacked enclosure and the basking light below warmed the floor of the enclosure along with its own basking light to well over 120f. Even though this shop called me in to see if I could tell them what went wrong, it took twice for them to understand the problem.

I use stacked enclosures as you see below. But I build them as @Tom 's enclosed chamber thread, with two layers of 1/4" plywood sandwiching 1-1/2" rigid foam.

If you are going to stack enclosures, and hang basking bulbs, or CHE's from the top of the enclosure as I have here, I would definitely recommend insulating between. Hope this helps.

View attachment 204475

Yes, that's exactly what I was looking for! Your picture is what I'm building, though I doubt mine will look as good as that! I'm not really familiar with insulation materials - will the insulation board in the link below work? Or is that the wrong kind?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Foamular...uare-Edge-Insulating-Sheathing-20WE/207179253

Thank y'all for the help!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Yes, that's exactly what I was looking for! Your picture is what I'm building, though I doubt mine will look as good as that! I'm not really familiar with insulation materials - will the insulation board in the link below work? Or is that the wrong kind?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Foamular...uare-Edge-Insulating-Sheathing-20WE/207179253

Thank y'all for the help!
I've always used this one. I like the expanded rigid foam and moisture resistance. The 1-1/2" thickness fits perfectly as it's the same thickness as the 2x2s I use for framing.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/R-Tech-1...R-5-78-Rigid-Foam-Insulation-320817/202532855