Stagger step?!

Mandysaur

Location (City and/or State)
Austin, Texas
My 3yr old 40lb sulcata has a slight stagger step in both his back legs. This might just be how he walks and I am just noticing, but wanted to run it past y’all just in case it means something I am not aware of.

I have video but can’t figure out how to post it…..

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
My 3yr old 40lb sulcata has a slight stagger step in both his back legs. This might just be how he walks and I am just noticing, but wanted to run it past y’all just in case it means something I am not aware of.

Greetings.

Try to first upload to YouTube, then post your YT URL here in a post.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas

Your tortoises is 3 years old and 40 pounds? That is under weight. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
You think he is underweight?? He seems good to me. How much should he weigh?
I don't have sulcata, but all torts grow at different rates depending on various things, so there are no definite age/size charts. If you can post some pics of him, his enclosure and the video mentioned above you'll get good feedback and advice from very experienced keepers.

tortlvr

Today is my birthday!
San Diego Ca
My 90lb male sulcata has a double step also. I think its just a lazy way of draging his back legs. Dosen't do it when he is in a hurry. I have shallow furrows in the dirt where he walks.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
You think he is underweight?? He seems good to me. How much should he weigh?
He's suppose to gain 20 pounds a year. At least thats what I'm told. But i think the first year he should only gain 10 pounds. So he should be... 50 pounds. But all tortoises grow at different rates so I don't think its because of the weight. And its only 10 pounds off so...

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Sulcatas are fast at growing and putting on weight. You have a leopard and leopards dont weigh or get as big as a sulctata.
Yes my ex-roommate has a Sulcata, who is possibly 8 years old and if I had to guess since the last time I saw him in January might be 60#, that would be a growth of 7.5#/year.
20#/year would mean a 60 year old Sulcata would be 1200#. I'm not sure where you got 20#/year but I personally would be skeptical of that data.
And YES, I do realize there is a difference between the size and weight of adult Sulcata's & Leopard's

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Yes my ex-roommate has a Sulcata, who is possibly 8 years old and if I had to guess since the last time I saw him in January might be 60#, that would be a growth of 7.5#/year.
20#/year would mean a 60 year old Sulcata would be 1200#. I'm not sure where you got 20#/year but I personally would be skeptical of that data.
And YES, I do realize there is a difference between the size and weight of adult Sulcata's & Leopard's
Lets ask @Tom what he thinks it should weigh.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He's suppose to gain 20 pounds a year. At least thats what I'm told. But i think the first year he should only gain 10 pounds. So he should be... 50 pounds. But all tortoises grow at different rates so I don't think its because of the weight. And its only 10 pounds off so...
This is way off base my man. Around 10 pounds a year is really good growth with the right temps, hydration, and diet. 40 pounds at 3 years old is on the large end of the spectrum. Mine don't even grow 10 pounds a year once I move them outside.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I can't say I've ever encountered this. I'd like to see the video. A problem in the step could be MBD, but this is unlikely if your tort lives outside in the sun shine. Could also be dehydration related like a stone or constipation. What's your soaking routine and what do you feed?

Nobody has a 60 year old sulcata. The oldest ones here in the US are just reaching 30-35 at the most.

Mandysaur

Austin, Texas
I don't have sulcata, but all torts grow at different rates depending on various things, so there are no definite age/size charts. If you can post some pics of him, his enclosure and the video mentioned above you'll get good feedback and advice from very experienced keepers.
Thank you. He isn’t underweight and is actually large for his age.
where did you hear they should put on 20lbs a year?
I can't say I've ever encountered this. I'd like to see the video. A problem in the step could be MBD, but this is unlikely if your tort lives outside in the sun shine. Could also be dehydration related like a stone or constipation. What's your soaking routine and what do you feed?

Nobody has a 60 year old sulcata. The oldest ones here in the US are just reaching 30-35 at the most.
he grazes grass, get cucumber snacks daily, and mazuri LS soaked once a week. I don’t soak him but I do fill his mud puddle up and shoot him with a hose daily. He has access to clean water for drinking and soaking but mostly stomps through it

Attachments

• 3C9B0FF0-F9E0-453E-90EE-12322253106C.jpeg
    3C9B0FF0-F9E0-453E-90EE-12322253106C.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 40D388A8-34BF-4398-8410-528A853D6957.jpeg
    40D388A8-34BF-4398-8410-528A853D6957.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside

he grazes grass, get cucumber snacks daily, and mazuri LS soaked once a week. I don’t soak him but I do fill his mud puddle up and shoot him with a hose daily. He has access to clean water for drinking and soaking but mostly stomps through it

I don’t have any advice, but just popping in to say your tortoise is beautiful. Would love to see how they look when they’ve had their shell watered down. Always loved the tan colour of Sulcata shells.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

He is beautiful and looks really smooth. Keep up the good work.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
These answers make dehydration or MBD seem highly unlikely. What has your calcium supplementation routine been during all this fast growth over the last three years? Cuttlebone available? Powdered calcium? Ever feed opuntia pads, mulberry leaves, grape leaves, or other high calcium foods?

I'm just running through possibilities in my mind and eliminating them one by one.

Mandysaur

Austin, Texas
These answers make dehydration or MBD seem highly unlikely. What has your calcium supplementation routine been during all this fast growth over the last three years? Cuttlebone available? Powdered calcium? Ever feed opuntia pads, mulberry leaves, grape leaves, or other high calcium foods?

I'm just running through possibilities in my mind and eliminating them one by one.
Yup. He eats all those. I put powdered calcium on his mazuri once a week.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.

Seem's like he has a lil hitch in his giddy-up (sorry, not making fun of it...)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I put powdered calcium on his mazuri once a week.
I would to do it that way. Mazuri is carefully balanced nutrition. Adding calcium upsets that fine balance. Better to add the calcium to greens or other foods that might be lacking in calcium.