Star tortoise questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leopard Tortoise Lover 16199

5 Year Member
I'm want to get a hatchling star-- Indian or SL. It's taken me along time to finally decide what type of tort to get, but I'm pretty sure this is my final decision. I won't be getting one for a while, though. But rit now I have a 36"x18"x12" exo terra natural terrarium with extra ventilation, should at least last a few years. Some people said for tiny hatchlings slightlÿ moist paper towel is a good substrate. But, what is better for them, cypress mulch, coconut fiber, or a mix of coconut fiber and sand substrate, for when they're older? And since they're a desert species, I was going t get the Zoo Med Desert UVB heat & lighting kit. Would this be a good start? And for humidity-- can I raise the humidity by spraying daily? I know hatchlings need more humidity than adults, and never have humidity in a cool area to prevent resp. Issues. Thanks, all advice would be appreciated! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
You've got some info right. Send a PM to Neal and ask him how to raise hatchlings. Skottip or KenS will be able to help you too. All three are good guys and have lots of star experience. That size enclosure will not last a few years unless something is not right and your baby doesn't grow well. I would not use sand for a substrate or even part of a mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.