Star tortoise substrate

Hello I live in India and I am planning to get a new tortoise enclosure for my male star tortoise who is 1 year old. The enclosure will be 3 foot by 2 foot. I am confused, what substrate I should by. On many care sheets they recommend to use a mixture of coconut coir and top soil. Since I live in India these products are not available. I want a substrate which does not stink alot and will be easy to maintain and which will be inexpensive(Since I am living in India ordering online will be expensive). Be free to write any positive or negative feedbacks of substrates which you have used for your tortoise and what one would be suitable for star tortoises.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Maybe if you posted what is available there, we could recommend which one is best too use. The enclosure size is too small. Is it possible to build a larger one and is this for outside? In India, your tort should be able to be outside at least daily and brought in at night if you have critters to worry about.

Metz

I didn't care for soil. It got in her food dish and was very messy. I spoke to my vet. I use carpet. Easy to clean & pick up her mess and poop! Also easy for them to get around as it gives a good grip. Hope that helps!

Ferretinmyshoes

5 Year Member
Colorado
My star loves to try to eat the carpet when he's roaming in the house. Not sure why. If it's the reptile carpet like felt then I bet that would be fine. But for some reason real carpet looks very appetizing to him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I prefer orchid bark. Also called Repti-Bark. But I don't buy it at the pet store. Much too expensive there. I buy it at hardware or garden stores. Its fine grade fir bark mulch. Sometimes called "Pathway Bark", or other similar names.

I would not recommend carpet. Much too dry, and potentially dangerous if they eat it or get tangled in the strands.

Hari8689

Mumbai - India
Hello I live in India and I am planning to get a new tortoise enclosure for my male star tortoise who is 1 year old. The enclosure will be 3 foot by 2 foot. I am confused, what substrate I should by. On many care sheets they recommend to use a mixture of coconut coir and top soil. Since I live in India these products are not available. I want a substrate which does not stink alot and will be easy to maintain and which will be inexpensive(Since I am living in India ordering online will be expensive). Be free to write any positive or negative feedbacks of substrates which you have used for your tortoise and what one would be suitable for star tortoises.

So if you are done with creating an enclosure, you can send some pics.

Hari8689

Mumbai - India
So are you done with creating anenclouser fir your torts...??
If yes, please send some pictures so i can even learn something and get ideas.
Waiting.......