Staying buried

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
So Clyde had been in his new enclosure for a week and he hasn't come up unless I dig him up. I notice that as low as he is digging that the heat isn't penetrating all the way down. I am thinking maybe that is why? I am thinking of putting rocks under the substrate so he can't dig down so deep but I am worried the enclosure stand can't hold that much extra weight. Any other suggestions of something I can put in the substrate to stop him digging as deep that wouldn't hurt him to dig at?

daniellenc

Maryland
Are your temps too hot and he's digging to get relief? Or too cold and he's trying to hibernate? I'd post your day and night temps to see if they're adequate.

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
The temps have been posted repeatedly and are good. I can find them in my old posts if we need them but that isn't the problem in this situation.

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings... i don’t think putting any barriers or obstacles down in your substrate will stop the burying down. For some reason, your tort is wanting to bury himself down to get warm, to get cooler, to get away from bright lights, to feel safe and secure... lots of reasons.

Have you uploaded a pix of your setup/enclosure? It might be easier to keep all your info and questions on one thread so people can scroll through and “catch up”.

Good luck happy torting.

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Warm side is 93-97, cool side 80 with a few areas that are 78, directly under heat bulb is 97-100 and nighttime low is 80. We have the lights on a timer on 13 hours a day. He gets a 20 minute bath each morning and humidity is between 65%-85% at all times. He is on straight ecoearth. He has a humid hide that stays at least 85.
received_10216321184531923.jpeg

He is currently 86 grams and growing fairly steadily.

If you dig down into the substrate it's 70-73. Substrate is about 4" deep.