RUSSIAN-CAN THEY DIG THROUGH THIS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I may be taking in a Russian that needs some over due upgraded care. I have the outdoor enclosure. My question is this. The substrate, I already know is okay. However, it is placed on top of the weed control fabric that you lay down under substrate in your flower beds, etc, to help control the weeds. Do any of you know if a Russian would be able to dig through the weed fabric? The fabric is approx. 4 inches deep and I am actually going to put another layer on top. I am thinking, if he can't dig through it, the fabric stays. If he can dig through it, I will have to pull it out, as I am afraid he could get stuck under it. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of fabric in their Russian enclosure. All opinions and actual experience welcomed.:)

jeffstort

5 Year Member
I don't know if they can but my guess would be it would take them a long time but they would eventually get thoroughly it and I have a russian and I'm from crystal lake il where are you from

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Chicago, Northside, just outside Wrigleyville. How about those HAWKS, YA:D

Oops, sorry you Kings fans:p nananana:D
Okay, back to my Russian question. Yes, it is tuff paper, as the weeds have not come through. Just not sure though.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
If the weed fabric was in my Russian pen, I would remove it. It would be a pain, yes but I could easily see them digging through it and would be afraid of what could happen. I have no first hand experience with it happening but would lean towards better safe than sorry.
OR
Lay down some of the wire mesh to be the bottom of the pen and add new substrate on top. Then the fabric doesn't matter cuz he can't get to it anyway.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I would be more worried that my russian would get tangled in it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Team Gomberg said:
If the weed fabric was in my Russian pen, I would remove it. It would be a pain, yes but I could easily see them digging through it and would be afraid of what could happen. I have no first hand experience with it happening but would lean towards better safe than sorry.
OR
Lay down some of the wire mesh to be the bottom of the pen and add new substrate on top. Then the fabric doesn't matter cuz he can't get to it anyway.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

That's a great idea. Glad you thought of it. That would probably be much easier. Thanks:)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I can only speak from my own experience with my own groups of Russians, in my years of having them outside mine do not usually dig down very deep, but I would say four inches is not deep enough. Keep in mind with anything you put down under the soil, it will at some point decay or in the case of wire rust away. There is always a possibility that they might hook a nail into that wire and be caught. I have not heard of it happening, but it's always been something I wonder about. Why are you wanting anything under him?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Jacqui said:
I can only speak from my own experience with my own groups of Russians, in my years of having them outside mine do not usually dig down very deep, but I would say four inches is not deep enough. Keep in mind with anything you put down under the soil, it will at some point decay or in the case of wire rust away. There is always a possibility that they might hook a nail into that wire and be caught. I have not heard of it happening, but it's always been something I wonder about. Why are you wanting anything under him?

The enclosure already has the weed fabric in it. Its the area i have kept for my evergreens and a couple flowers, no weeds. The flower bed on the other side of my yard went to Tatum. Well, now i need to give the Russian the side i was going to use for just flowers, that didn't last long LOL. So, wondering if I need to pull it (fabric) out or if I can leave it in?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'd remove it. I'm thinking its the same fabric that shade cloth is made out of???? The tortoise may get a claw stuck . It's not worth the risk.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Another issue with the fabric weedcloth is there is also that slim chance that the tortoise may try a bite of it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The only shade cloth I know of is like a soft screen. This is more like a thicker black fiber paper. Here is a link to it from Home Depot. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Easy-Gar...2043542?keyword=Weed+block+paper#.UbVAkMu9KSM

Jacqui said:
Another issue with the fabric weedcloth is there is also that slim chance that the tortoise may try a bite of it.

I'm not sure he would be able to bite and get any. It's pretty tuff, to keep weeds from growing through. However, a sharp nail digging could possibly do it. So, are you thinking more along the lines of pulling it out, or putting the hardware fabric(fencing) over it? Do I or have to worry about him burrowing out? Or Do they usually escape by climbing and not burrowing? If I pulled it out, he would be able to burrow as deep as he wanted.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Mine would be able to burrow/claw through weed fabric, in fact they have and it has now been removed in that area. Their claws are incredible tools.

I use plastic garden fencing along the edges of my enclosure about 12" in then back fill with gravel (couple of inches) then soil (6" or more). It does not rust and is not sharp (smooth end facing in).
Never had an issue. The gravel helps with drainage. In a couple of spots I mounded the gravel up to poke through the soil, and planted Rosemary, Lavender, etc., which like dry spots. This works well if you are going to start with the base and back fill with substrate.

In another enclosure, I used the pavers Yvonne recommended along the edge in a row. I use the 8x16" size, which are about $1-$1.30. So you get #10 and you have over 10' of coverage, a pretty good deal. Mine love to walk the perimeter and have no interest in burrowing, just climbing. They use the hides that I made here and there, rather than pick the edge to burrow in (sometimes I will add one if I see they like a certain area).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, sounds like it will be coming out. I like the plastic fencing idea lynnedit, safer for tort and me. The hardware fabric/fencing can be very pokie.:D although a good idea too. The enclosure border is stacked bricks. I just have to do the back side as its not as high as the front but is landscaping timbers, it's the neighbors side, which is also bordered by a fence.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You are used to Tatum, but remember that russians can climb like little monkeys. Landscaping timbers are like a ladder with a written invitation to exit the enclosure. Bricks too. Make sure the enclosure has a good 4-6' lip all around the top and especially at the corners.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh I will be posting pics. Tatum is having a big shed built in his honor LOL should be done this week. This shed is also where the Russian will spend his winters. So, I will post pics of the Russians summer and winter digs.:D

Yes, my Tatum is such a good boy Lol? I will be sure to add a lip. I will have about a week before I get him. Hopefully I will be ale to get it fixed up and pics posted for tweaking before I have to pick him up. He will be coming with an enclosure if I can fit it in my jeep, so if I run out of time, he will have that to stay in for a couple days.
I have been thinking about getting a Russian for a while, there are so many needing new homes, so I have been doing some reading up on their care, besides what I have already learned just from being on the forum. The escape proofing is the biggest concern. I think I got the rest down, I hope:)

bigsteaks

5 Year Member
Deptford NJ
dad of two Russians here.
their out door enclosure is three landscape timbers high with no lip and it is doing just fine. they dig down a few inches at best. we have some great hides and basking areas and little huts for them and a great big trunk as their main house. lots of plants and rocks and a big chunk of log. this all seems to be keeping them occupied enough to not try to escape!!!!
good luck

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks, I will for sure add some hides and interesting things to keep him busy and not wanting to dig out, hopefully:D

WillTort2

5 Year Member
The first Russian I adopted was banned from his original home because he had dug under a buried timber and tunneled across 50 ft of yard and was headed for the neighbor's grove of trees. They also found he had dug under the concrete floor of the garage in several directions.

Russians did not earn the reputation of "escape artist" by doing what we want them to do.

I think your walls should be at least 8" below ground level. I would also build up the inside substrate several inches above ground level to make flooding more difficult.

Remember they have to get below the frost level to survive the winters outdoors.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
The black fiber weedbarrier cloth is like tissue paper to my crew. I will regularly have to pull a few out from under it. I am so glad I dont have any of it at my new property.

Status
Not open for further replies.