Staying Out Past Dark

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Walker has taken to grazing on fallen leaves and what weeds he can find under them until about a half hour past sunset, our sunset is before 5 o'clock this time of year, today we were around 32 degrees all day with a mix of rain, sleet, snow and freezing rain, it didn't amount to anything bad, just wet and cold. He didn't come out earlier in the day as he usually does so I figured he would stay in all day,but at about 4 he was out and about gobbling leaves. I have been paying closer attention to his evening activities for some time now as the days got shorter. he comes out and goes to the far side of the yard and works his way back towards his house which has a small light mounted on the outside that I use to make sure his heat is on inside. He uses the light from the bulb to finish eating near the house as it gets darker away from the house. His ramp was a little icy so I watched to make sure he got back in safely, and took some (not very good) pics. Tortoises don't have good traction on ice.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would imagine that as long as the his house temps are high enough then his late afternoon early evening munching outings are likely fine...as long as he is in and tucked in for the night and he is acting business as usual...

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Wow! I never knew a tort would voluntarily be out in the dark, especially in cold weather. Pretty cool looking house he has. Did you build it yourself? How is it heated?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That porch light ( on the same circuit as the indoor electricity ) is such a good idea! I'm going to steal it. Every night I have to lift the lid to make sure everything is kosher inside, but with a porch light I would know at a glance. Why didn't I think of that?

My hundred pounder is still acting the same way as usual. He comes out in the morning, warms up in the sun (if there is any), grazes for a while, then goes back inside. I don't know what to think of Walker coming out in the evening and staying out after dark. Maybe its just a bid for a little more attention from you. :p

Len B

10 Year Member!
His house temps are the usual 87 to 88 where the sensor is located, and he is doing what a spoiled sulcata does, I built his house in 2007, it is insulated on all sides, top and bottom, small vents at the peaks front and back with a small fan in the back vent if needed. the door is triple flapped in winter with the removable white panel in place. it is heated by a 3x4 ft stanfield heat pad and a light fixture with a che in place at the moment, sometimes I use a black light instead.

Yvonne G said:
That porch light ( on the same circuit as the indoor electricity ) is such a good idea! I'm going to steal it. Every night I have to lift the lid to make sure everything is kosher inside, but with a porch light I would know at a glance. Why didn't I think of that?

My hundred pounder is still acting the same way as usual. He comes out in the morning, warms up in the sun (if there is any), grazes for a while, then goes back inside. I don't know what to think of Walker coming out in the evening and staying out after dark. Maybe its just a bid for a little more attention from you. :p
It's just one of those 7 1/2 watt bulbs, I can see it from the kitchen. He does look for attention, if he sees me he will stop what he is doing and start heading towards me.

edwardbo

5 Year Member
I'm wondering what the scientist are going to say about this post. This is tort keeping at its finest,maybe your turtle goes out at dusk just because he can't hold back his want any longer,love this type of story,years ago the San diago zoo contacted me about my keeping/breeding rare exotic birds in such a similar winter situation, I believe it's all about aclimazation,they have to feel the season change,hours of light shorting .ladies,good for you!...think it snows in Africa ?other than the summit of killamanjaro.....thank you for posting?healthy animals DONT get sick.much love peps

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sounds like one heck of a smart tortoise. He stays in til it's warmer out, then goes to his farthest point and works his way back in as the temps drop and he gets colder. He still has some light (just not sunlight). He is keeping the length of his outings up to normal and just smartly using what he has available to stay out and do his thing. Walker is pretty darn smart!

edwardbo

5 Year Member
See ,reptiles actually THINK,that's why I don't believe in keeping them in barren rack systems.now do you think they dream while sleeping?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Ha Ha, his timing isn't always the best, unless he actually plans things for his convenience and for me to get wet. His morning trip out I give him a pound of mazuri daily during the cold months, yesterday he didn't come out early so he went without, today he waited until it started raining hard to come looking for it, that means that I get to make several trips out with small amounts each time or it gets wet, he likes it dry not wet. I have no idea if they dream, but I believe they have some intelligence that we don't understand completely.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Len said:
I have no idea if they dream, but I believe they have some intelligence that we don't understand completely.

My beliefs exactly. I think we under sell tortoises on what they may think, feel, and ever desire.

Sounds like his planning was great... for him. :D He knows he has his caretaker right where he want him. :D

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
That house looks so warm and appealing -- do you ever have critters that find their way in in the cold months?

Len B

10 Year Member!
thatrebecca said:
That house looks so warm and appealing -- do you ever have critters that find their way in in the cold months?

Just one, here's his pic. I have been very lucky, I have 3 heated house's and 2 heated areas that can be accessed 24 hours a day and the only thing or things besides "Rocket" that I have seen signs of entering any of them are small birds.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Len said:
thatrebecca said:

Just one, here's his pic. I have been very lucky, I have 3 heated house's and 2 heated areas that can be accessed 24 hours a day and the only thing or things besides "Rocket" that I have seen signs of entering any of them are small birds.

Haha, well maybe Rocket scares them all away. He looks like he could intimidate via his darling giant ears.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Tonight at 7:30 Walker decided to come out in the dark to eat. I had Paige our special needs Boston Terrier out for her evening romp,and went to check on her and noticed Walker moving the flaps on his door, and sure enough he came out and ate for a little over 1/2 hour and then went back in. We had a lot of rain and temps in the 60s today, when he came out it was in the 50s but the rain had stopped. I didn't see any signs of him being out earlier in the day while it was raining, so I figured he would be in for the night. When you think you have them figured out they do something to show you otherwise.

bellamia

5 Year Member
Love this story, do you think he may be looking for protein ?
Moles and voles come out at night to eat, maybe he is hunting them ?? LOL

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
Most all animals have a level of intelligence that we are not capable of understanding.
It is thrilling for me to make any contact with them and to actually get response is always special.