Sterilising soil

sanyzo

5 Year Member
Hi all, we have a new huge indoor enclosure for a leopard tortoise that we will fill with over 400l of soil and bark. I would like to sterilise the soil but don't know how with such a huge amount. Do you have any tips? Many thanks!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1492866153.988875.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1492866153.988875.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 19

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
cooking it in an oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes should solve any problems. the biggest concern with soil is whether it's fertilizer free and additive-free

sanyzo

5 Year Member
Hello, thx for your reply, but the thing is my oven is tiny and it would take me a month to divide the soil into little bags and put it in there individually... that's why I was asking for a tip when you have a big amount of it. And yes, I buy only free additive soil etc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is no need to sterilize your soil. That would be a pointless waste of time because, as soon as the sterilization process is finished, your soil will be re-contaminated and re-infected from a wide variety of sources in your environment.

I would not use any soil as part of your substrate, unless you composted and made the soil yourself. There is no way to know what is in the soil-in-a-bag that you buy from the store. It could be harmless stuff or it could be competed oleander leaves, or grass clippings sprayed with who knows what.

Best substrate for a leopard is fine grade orchid bark. I buy it in bulk at a local garden center for $10 for a 2.0 cubic foot bag. Cut the bag open and dump it in. One bag will do two 400L tanks easily.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
may I ask then why are you concerned about sterilizing the soil?

sanyzo

5 Year Member
Hi all. Thanks Tom for the clear answer. I will check our local garden shops, I was just afraid if they will have some that is fertiliser free (live in Czech Republic). I do use orchid bark which I just put as the top layer though, but I buy it from pet stores here and it's really expensive.

I wanted to sterilise the soil because I was afraid there might be eggs, larvae and insects in it that could mess up the whole enclosure and I would have to replace it soon (and it could also harm the tortoise as for now it lives only indoors). But as I hear here, that hopefully shouldn't be a harm..