Sticky Threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV.
Am I the only one that thinks we're going overboard on the stickies? You have to scroll halfway down the page to get to the posts that we want to get to. Maybe there should be one sticky "Administrative BS" that links to all the BS that the mods want people to read. Just a thought :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Huh? Three sometimes four that I found.......I know it must seem like a lot, Tyler, but you have to remember that there are quite a few new tortoise keepers on the forum, and the sticky's really are for them. We want to make it as easy as possible for the new keeper to find the important "BS."

Another thing...I'm not sure how you read the posts, but here's what I did when I first got started on the forum:

I read whatever I could for the first few days, then I went to the bottom of the home page and clicked on "mark all forums read."

Then the next time I signed onto the forum, I clicked on "view today's posts" up at the top of the home page. This brings up all of the current postings, and the ones my computer recognizes as ones I haven't read are shown in a bold print, while the ones I already have read are shown in regular print.

I hardly ever go to the main index any more.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I also go straight to the "view today's posts", except when I am looking for a specific sticky that I know I have seen, so I can post the link for a member who is asking for help on a particular topic.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
emysemys said:
Then the next time I signed onto the forum, I clicked on "view today's posts" up at the top of the home page. This brings up all of the current postings, and the ones my computer recognizes as ones I haven't read are shown in a bold print, while the ones I already have read are shown in regular print.

I do the same thing. I'd say the last time I went to the main index was over a month ago. I just always click "View New Posts"

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Sometimes though when you click "view new posts" you miss some posts that you may not have read yet. I always click on "view todays posts" and that gives me all the new posts within the last 36 to 48 hours.

Danny

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I receive an Email everytime there is a new thread or a reply to a thread I find interesting :)

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
emysemys said:
Huh? Three sometimes four that I found.......I know it must seem like a lot, Tyler, but you have to remember that there are quite a few new tortoise keepers on the forum, and the sticky's really are for them. We want to make it as easy as possible for the new keeper to find the important "BS."

Another thing...I'm not sure how you read the posts, but here's what I did when I first got started on the forum:

I read whatever I could for the first few days, then I went to the bottom of the home page and clicked on "mark all forums read."

Thats great advice Yvonne, can you "sticky" it?

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
I'm not on here every day, so clicking "today's threads" would leave out older threads that I hadn't seen.... I browse for topics more than I try to keep updated daily.

I receive an Email everytime there is a new thread

I think I would go insane from that within an hour. It took me a month to figure out how to stop getting e-mail notifications from Facebook every time one of my friends sneezed.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
egyptiandan said:
Sometimes though when you click "view new posts" you miss some posts that you may not have read yet. I always click on "view todays posts" and that gives me all the new posts within the last 36 to 48 hours.

Danny

Then explain missing Terry (nerds) thread on Stars. :D :p

Oh and what's a sticky? :(

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Candy said:
Oh and what's a sticky? :(

Candy if you go back a to the section page, in this case we are in the "Announcements, Feedback, and Tech Help" section. On that page see the threads under the subheading of "Important Threads", those are stickies. Stickies normally can't be responded to and will remain on the top of the section page, where the normal threads over time will move down the page and then go to previous pages. Stickies are for special reminders or information and for example on a breed page, they contain special information about that species such as how to ID them. Is saves folks time going thru pages of information to find the information.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I think I would go insane from that within an hour. It took me a month to figure out how to stop getting e-mail notifications from Facebook every time one of my friends sneezed.

That is too funny Tyler!

Jaqui thanks for explaining that to me I'll go check that out and see if it makes sense. You know I'm not very good at computers or figuring them out. :( I'm lucky that I can figure out how to post here. :p :D

Status
Not open for further replies.