still bubbles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
my largest tortoise still has bubbles in her one eye, i see it on occassion, im really wondering what this is from. the humidity is 95% and the heat is 81 so what am i still doing wrong?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi....is this the same tortoise that you posted before that you could hear breathing? If yes, what could you hear? Whistling, wheezing, obscene phone call heavy breathing, congested breathing? What type? Are the bubbles actually forming and settling in the inner corner of the eye...near where tear duct would be? Or is it a weeping type eye? What is the absolute coolest your tank gets? What is your basking spot temp?
:D and is the humidity always at the constant high level....is there any dry zone in her enclosure for her to access in order to dry out in and out if she wants or needs to?

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
i posted that a long time ago, she does have heavy breathing yes, and i try to keep the whole enclosure pretty moist.. though there hut is not always as moist as the rest, id say it probably gets down to the seventys at night time, and the bubbles are towards the front of her eye, so yes where a tear would form

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Have you ever had her tested for any respritory issues? I have two redfoot here...they are not grown so a little different on the tortoise size...however I do have four grown CDTs and have spent a great amount of time with them and have never "heard" their breathing occur....I believe it would trigger some concern on my part if I did hear breathing.....

Now while I have and do from time to time hear a whistle type breathing from the redfoot I know that is due to my constant need to keep up on providing a bit more humidity here in the house while the forced heat is on....

I also believe that the redfoot need a place that is dry to go to as well as a source of more humidity....also if you have 95 humidity at 80 ish temp that likely in the evening when your temps drop to 70ish I bet that humidity also spikes even more--and that is what actually was my concern and why I asked what I did....I believe that if you are going to have that level of humidity you should also strive to make sure your temps do not ever fall below an 80 degree mark even and especially at night...you know what I mean? I would also suggest you try to set up someplace that is a dry spot for her so she has the choice to dry out when she needs to....sometimes respritory issues are not only seen by nose bubbles but can also be signaled by the constant eye bubbles...so if it were me...I would make a couple of the adjustments to see if it is environment or if it perhaps continues and could actually be an underlying sign of something else....:D

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
okay ill let out a part of the enclosure dry out.. and see if that does anything. I cant hear her breathing all the time but it definately there, i took her to the vet a long time ago and the stuff they told me to do didnt help.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am just curious, but what did they tell you to do?

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
they had me give her pills? they didnt work and i cant afford to take her

so if you guys have any suggestions i am very willing to try anything

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sorry if I sound repetitive, but did the vet give you a diagnosis?

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
no they didnt, they just gave me these pills to chop up into her food and he never told me what caused it. My tortoise was the first one that he had worked with so idk how well she diagnosed the situation

tortuga_please

5 Year Member
Next time try to find one with herp/tort experience, unfortunately that vet likely isn't well versed in their health issues :-/

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Do you know what kind of pills they were? It should say on the bottle or instructions or something.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
It should say on the bottle or instructions or something.

and if you do not have the bottle any longer, you can call the vets office and ask them the name of the meds they sent you home with as well as what they are issued for? :D:D

Can you tell we really want to know and really want to help ?????:p

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Oh...you're funny :p

So...like I shared with you a few posts back...lol....make the couple tweaks to your enclosure/heat and see if that will help her out some....and please please please keep us up with any changes...if you would not mind that is :D

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
i will, im gonna keep the one area dry and see what happens. As of this morning no bubbles :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I suggested trying the adjustments to allow you to see if that will help to curb what you are seeing....if a tortoise has a RI, it is likely that symptoms can be corrected but that tortoise will carry the tendency to have other outbreaks when put in the right conditions (stress of some type usually)....

So, this is why I would check to see if what is going on is due to environment or if the conditions persist then your tortoise should be tested for RI to rule it out or diagnose and be treated for it :D

However, giving a spot to dry out...increased consistent heat will absolutely aid your tortoise in fighting off an ailment and become stronger... :D (don't forget to keep up with the soaks) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.