Still struggling with heat temps!

Katielynn

Location (City and/or State)
Wilmington NC
Sorry for all the post but I’m truly driving myself crazy with this! I have 100 watt Che on my warmer end and 60 on cooler end. Cooler end stays around 72-74 and warmer end around 76-78. Humidity stays between 70-85% on both ends. Is this good? I don’t have baking he doesn’t like bright lights and never basked. Someone also mentioned not to use dual dome. Why is that? I won’t run the same che 24/7 so I turn one side off at night and the other side on never ran at same time ( both 100 che in there) I keep the 60 off at night with no other on the cooler end is that okay? He’s currently in 75 gallon aquarium. He will be staying in the 75 gallon aquarium for now. I know it can be done and I know others will say it’s not okay to have him him there but if I can achieve. Right humidity(which I am) and right temp it’s fine for now. Basically do I need a stronger Che? A 150 watt? Both lamps are on lamp stands hanging into the aquarium not with clamps. I truly do appreciate everyone’s helps and information!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For a Red foot? It needs to be no lower than 80 day or night. Mid 80s for daytime is best.

Katielynn

Wilmington NC
For a Red foot? It needs to be no lower than 80 day or night. Mid 80s for daytime is best.
So do I need a 150 Che? Or can I run 2 separate hoods at the same end one with the 100 and 1 with the 60? Almost everywhere I have read has said they need a cool end. If I covered the cool end completely would that heat be enough for the cool end? I’m also being recommended to try heat pads for the sides of the tank. Thoughts?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So do I need a 150 Che? Or can I run 2 separate hoods at the same end one with the 100 and 1 with the 60? Almost everywhere I have read has said they need a cool end. If I covered the cool end completely would that heat be enough for the cool end? I’m also being recommended to try heat pads for the sides of the tank. Thoughts?
Some species of tortoise do need a cooler end. Other species don't need a "cool" end, but one end should be hot and the other end less hot, but till warm. YOUR species just needs one warm overall temp around 82-86 all the time. Day and night. There is no cool end in the Brazilian jungle. Its all hot all the time.

Yes, you should run both CHEs, or better yet get radiant heat panels, and you need to run them on a thermostat. Spread them out. Don't put both CHEs on the same side. You want to warm the whole enclosure. The thermostat will turn both CHEs on and off as needed to maintain the correct temperature.

Heat mats or heating pads should not be used with tortoises in indoor enclosures. They are not safe for tortoises.

Katielynn

Wilmington NC
Some species of tortoise do need a cooler end. Other species don't need a "cool" end, but one end should be hot and the other end less hot, but till warm. YOUR species just needs one warm overall temp around 82-86 all the time. Day and night. There is no cool end in the Brazilian jungle. Its all hot all the time.

Yes, you should run both CHEs, or better yet get radiant heat panels, and you need to run them on a thermostat. Spread them out. Don't put both CHEs on the same side. You want to warm the whole enclosure. The thermostat will turn both CHEs on and off as needed to maintain the correct temperature.

Heat mats or heating pads should not be used with tortoises in indoor enclosures. They are not safe for tortoises.
I’ve never heard of radiant heat panels? How do those work? Where should I look for one. As someone else stated they wouldn’t use both Che in the dual dome fixtures but if I’m swapping each side and never using at the same time do you feel that’s alright?

Katielynn

Wilmington NC
I’ve never heard of radiant heat panels? How do those work? Where should I look for one. As someone else stated they wouldn’t use both Che in the dual dome fixtures but if I’m swapping each side and never using at the same time do you feel that’s alright?
The 60 and 100 on opposite ends don’t seem to be getting the right temps. With heat gun I’ll find a small area with 80 plus but only in those areas. I use probe type thermometers and humidity readers.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Best to use the two CHEs in separate domes. They great a lot of heat, and you also want the heat spread out. If your current wattage CHEs are not warming things enough, then you will need higher wattage CHEs.

Radiant heat panels:

These do the same thing as your CHEs, but they spread the heat out over a large area instead of concentrating it into a small area.

Katielynn

Wilmington NC

If I run both CHE on the automatic thermostat do you have a recommendation for one? I saw one that includes humidity too? I’m thinking of getting a Fogger as my mister seems to get the bedding too wet keeping up with the humidity.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If I run both CHE on the automatic thermostat do you have a recommendation for one? I saw one that includes humidity too? I’m thinking of getting a Fogger as my mister seems to get the bedding too wet keeping up with the humidity.
Don't use a fogger blowing directly into a tortoise enclosure. You can run one in the room to try to increase humidity, but with a closed chamber that isn't necessary.

Because of how wet it was in there, you should be checking your tortoise's plastron regularly to make sure no shell rot has started.

Once you get the heat right, you will see how quickly everything dries out, and you will start having to add more water to try to compensate, which will make it too wet again, etc... Its an un-winnable vicious cycle. When you get frustrated with it all, we will try to help.

Here is a thermostat that I have used:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01486LZ50/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Katielynn

Wilmington NC
Don't use a fogger blowing directly into a tortoise enclosure. You can run one in the room to try to increase humidity, but with a closed chamber that isn't necessary.

Because of how wet it was in there, you should be checking your tortoise's plastron regularly to make sure no shell rot has started.

Once you get the heat right, you will see how quickly everything dries out, and you will start having to add more water to try to compensate, which will make it too wet again, etc... Its an un-winnable vicious cycle. When you get frustrated with it all, we will try to help.

Here is a thermostat that I have used:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01486LZ50/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
Thank you! Do you put the probe in the middle of the the tank? I’m using an aquarium which I known is not always best but it’s was I’m using for now so what do you suggest to keep humidity up without soaking the bedding? This is the mister I have. I have larger water dishes on both ends of tanks. What’s weird is that the side with the 100 watt CHE keeps better humidity, the side with the 60 watt CHE gets down to 45% for some reason. I’m going to get a 150 watt and use that on one side and the 100 in the other. Does that sound right? Or should I try 100 watt on both ends first? The middle of the tank gets to about 74-75 the Side with the 100 gets to about 77-78/79

Attachments

• D74F7F67-C8B0-4F61-9236-4E53F5787483.jpeg
    D74F7F67-C8B0-4F61-9236-4E53F5787483.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • BE357566-67D4-4A9C-B53A-364B03095F0E.png
    BE357566-67D4-4A9C-B53A-364B03095F0E.png
    415.9 KB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you! Do you put the probe in the middle of the the tank? I’m using an aquarium which I known is not always best but it’s was I’m using for now so what do you suggest to keep humidity up without soaking the bedding? This is the mister I have. I have larger water dishes on both ends of tanks. What’s weird is that the side with the 100 watt CHE keeps better humidity, the side with the 60 watt CHE gets down to 45% for some reason. I’m going to get a 150 watt and use that on one side and the 100 in the other. Does that sound right? Or should I try 100 watt on both ends first? The middle of the tank gets to about 74-75 the Side with the 100 gets to about 77-78/79
Put the probe farthest away from any heat source. You want the coldest part of the enclosure to be above 80 all the time. Sounds like you might need a 150 watt on both sides, but that seems excessive for that size tank. If a 100 isn't even getting you to 80, then you need more.