Stinky mutt!

Vladsfriend

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
So the vet called and they wont be in tomorrow, my husband took her today.

CONFIRMED. Anal glands and they said they were "full", dont know what that means! BUT, they have me going back once a month for this now.. YAY! My stinky girl is going to be OH SO FRESH AND SO CLEAN CLEAN! :)
This whole thread is making me very glad I just have a tortoise and no mammals;)

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Yay, I'm glad it was a simple solution. If the glands are healthy they usually empty on their own to give the dogs feces that signature smell that they are always sniffing for. When they don't empty properly or if they are getting scared and spraying them on themselves that when you get the stink.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
anybody want my dog?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Your dog is beautiful! Scents/smells are part of a language in the animal world. Most of us have seen dogs smelling each other's butts when they meet. That's a big part of how they get to know each other. I've had dogs in a past and mine never had that issue, but many dogs have to have their anal glands expeessed periodically. I'm glad you got this figured out for Luna. Bad smells can be a huge turn off to us humans and really get in a way in our relationship with our faithul and loving companion. Kudos to you for taking your pup in for medical evaluation. Luna is really a beautiful dog. I love those dark sparkly eyes

AnimalLady

Your dog is beautiful! Scents/smells are part of a language in the animal world. Most of us have seen dogs smelling each other's butts when they meet. That's a big part of how they get to know each other. I've had dogs in a past and mine never had that issue, but many dogs have to have their anal glands expeessed periodically. I'm glad you got this figured out for Luna. Bad smells can be a huge turn off to us humans and really get in a way in our relationship with our faithul and loving companion. Kudos to you for taking your pup in for medical evaluation. Luna is really a beautiful dog. I love those dark sparkly eyes
Thank you very much! :)

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
smelling each others butts is definitely frowned upon in human society 4 A greeting. don't ask me how I know

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I still have Chesters blanket and his favorite toy. I am man enough to admit that I still take it out and smell it every now and again.
It is no longer a bad smell. I actually miss it.
Aint life some crap?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
every animal dies but not every animal is loved. You are your dog's entire world for its entire life enjoy it while you have them.

AnimalLady

I still have Chesters blanket and his favorite toy. I am man enough to admit that I still take it out and smell it every now and again.
It is no longer a bad smell. I actually miss it.
Aint life some crap?
Its not easy.
I have a Pandora bracelet charm of a rabbit, i wear it ALWAYS. I got it for my beloved, gorgeous rabbit that passed away. His name was ChuChu. I still have his water bowl and goodness help the person that touches it... <3

Kristin NIcole

Minnesota, USA
I had a feeling within the first few words that it was the anal glands. I was a vet's assistant for awhile, plus 25 years in animal rescue - I think I can identify that stink at 100 yards! Anal gland problems are more prevalent in smaller dogs such as yours, but my 85-lb hunk Bronson has issues, too. The second he drops his buns on the floor to drag them, my husband yells, "Butt squeeze!" and Bronson takes off running. He will actually press his bottom into the corner of the room - like he is the one to suffer, not me! My husband holds his face and talks baby talk, I get the "business end" of the deal. Once, the glands were so full, they squirted into my (long) hair which was hanging in the way. It was all I could do not to give myself a Howie Mandel cut right then and there.
Anyway, all that being said, I think you should really learn to do it yourself. It is very easy and it would save you $$$. Sometimes, you can't get in to the vet right away and your dog is stuck being uncomfortable. Vets will train you in a couple minutes or this will show you...... (Scroll through the text and watch the video):
http://www.dfordog.co.uk/blog/how-to-empty-dog-anal-glands.html

AnimalLady

I had a feeling within the first few words that it was the anal glands. I was a vet's assistant for awhile, plus 25 years in animal rescue - I think I can identify that stink at 100 yards! Anal gland problems are more prevalent in smaller dogs such as yours, but my 85-lb hunk Bronson has issues, too. The second he drops his buns on the floor to drag them, my husband yells, "Butt squeeze!" and Bronson takes off running. He will actually press his bottom into the corner of the room - like he is the one to suffer, not me! My husband holds his face and talks baby talk, I get the "business end" of the deal. Once, the glands were so full, they squirted into my (long) hair which was hanging in the way. It was all I could do not to give myself a Howie Mandel cut right then and there.
Anyway, all that being said, I think you should really learn to do it yourself. It is very easy and it would save you $$$. Sometimes, you can't get in to the vet right away and your dog is stuck being uncomfortable. Vets will train you in a couple minutes or this will show you...... (Scroll through the text and watch the video):
http://www.dfordog.co.uk/blog/how-to-empty-dog-anal-glands.html

OHHHHH MAN! You're a lot braver than I am!
No way, dude, no freggin way! It was $15, and i have my monthly appointments made up! Oh no no no.. i refuse. GAGG VOMIT DIE!

Kristin NIcole

Minnesota, USA
OHHHHH MAN! You're a lot braver than I am!
No way, dude, no freggin way! It was $15, and i have my monthly appointments made up! Oh no no no.. i refuse. GAGG VOMIT DIE!

Gosh, I don't know if I am reading too much into this, but you seem so against the idea. ;) I forgot to mention that I do have a shot or two of Crown before hand and I insist that Bronson tell everyone I am his favorite human for a week afterwards. Then, it's all worth it.