Stock tank water level

ct1208

Location (City and/or State)
Brooklyn, NY
I'm setting up a new enclosure for my red eared slider and it includes a 100g stock tank. I also just bought a Fluval FX6 filter but realized after reading instructions that there is min height between the top of filter and water level.

One option I'm considering is raising the height of entire tank setup using a bed of cinderblocks and a wood plank - but this requires me to uninstall some items like the basking platform I prematurely nailed into the wall before considering the filter situation.

Another option is to fill the stock tank (which has a height of 25") up to the 23" inch level to fulfill this min height required between filter and water level. Are there any drawbacks to filling the water level so high? I installed an egg crate platform that it can use to walk up to the basking platform level so would need to raise the egg crate platform but that's easy - just wondering if the water is filled too high, would the turtle escape? Are there other things I'm not considering that make it a bad idea to fill up the water level so high?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Interesting, I wasn’t aware that those Fluval canister filters had minimum height distances like you say.

Can you take a pix of your set-up with the filter in place etc.

Fluval provides good tech support so it might be worth getting in touch with them directly.

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
If you have 2" to the top of the stock tank and no further wall/acrylic around it the turtle will definitely get out. I've had turtles climb a shear 6" height to get out of a tank, but its not typical for glass aquariums or stock tanks. 2" they would just swim to the top and grab the top.

ct1208

Brooklyn, NY
Interesting, I wasn’t aware that those Fluval canister filters had minimum height distances like you say.

Can you take a pix of your set-up with the filter in place etc.

Fluval provides good tech support so it might be worth getting in touch with them directly.

Sure thing - the filter is currently still in its box since there's a chance I may be exchanging this filter for another, so I don't have a picture of the filter next to the setup unfortunately. But here is the rest of the set up.

The Fluval FX4, which I could exchange for, has a height of 16 inches so if I fill up the stock tank to 23-24 inches (and also install a wall/acrylic around the rim to prevent escape like Paschendale52 mentions), that's the other option I'm considering.

The minimum height distance was news to me too, attaching a snapshot from the instruction manual!

Attachments

• C3668FCC-CCFE-4B3A-AF97-1CFC1399D8F5.jpg
    C3668FCC-CCFE-4B3A-AF97-1CFC1399D8F5.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • Fluval FX6 height requirements.PNG
    Fluval FX6 height requirements.PNG
    28.5 KB · Views: 6