Strange eating behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

socialworker81

5 Year Member
I posted a few days ago, about a redfoot juvenile I rescued from a pet store. He is very underweight and his eyes wouldn't open. I have been soaking him often, and haven't had a problem with his eyes since.
However I am having a difficult time feeding him. He wouldn't even eat banana! I've never seen a tort refuse banana. I have been taking him outside and he will find clover, dandelions etc and eat them. Anything I put in his enclosure he refuses to eat, even if it is the same he is eating outside.
I need to get some weight one this little one, any suggestions?
ImageUploadedByTortForum1369263801.446864.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This is likely a lighting issue. Might need to change things up a bit.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
Do you have a UV light in the enclosure? This kind of light looks like the sun to them (or similar) as it provides the full light spectrum. and you say he eats when he's outside - which looks like it's sunny. So to replicate this inside might do the trick, as Tom just said.

socialworker81

5 Year Member
At this time I don't. I've had the little one less than a week. I was going to buy a powersun bulb this weekend. I use them on my other torts and they seem to work well. I need to raise it up for him as well, since they can be powerful.
I wasn't sure if he would make it, as the pet store told me he wasn't eating either and he was in terrible conditions, hence why I rescued him. Thanks for the advice!

socialworker81

5 Year Member
I would, but I live in NW pa. There are many days, including summer days where it is just too cold for him to be out. It is supposed to be in the 50s this weekend :(

Status
Not open for further replies.