Strange poop

Location (City and/or State)
Maryville Tennessee
I got Trixie about a month ago from a very dry climate and the moisture here even a few hours a day has been too much of a change too fast. She is being treated for shell rot, but her poop has always looked strange to me.

I took a sample to the vet yesterday to check for worm overload. Waiting for results. She has been through so many changes in the last month l’m worried. She will eat pumpkin and Mazuri but not wanting her plantain. So I’m mixing them.

Here is a picture of her poop.

Attachments

• IMG_9970.png
    IMG_9970.png
    489.3 KB · Views: 5

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What species and how old?
Pumpkin, mazuri and plantain is not a good diet!
Post pics of what you think is shell rot and of her enclosure along with a pic of her.
Give us a run down of the lights and heat you are using and temps, day, night, basking and cooler side.
What is the actual humidity? It won't be the same if she is in an inside enclosure as it is outside.

Maryville Tennessee
She is an Eastern Hermanns. 3-4 years old. I have a younger male and they are housed separately. Their foods are raised by me and tortoise table safe. I only added the pumpkin and mazuri recently thinking she needed more fiber.

Maryville Tennessee
S
What species and how old?
Pumpkin, mazuri and plantain is not a good diet!
Post pics of what you think is shell rot and of her enclosure along with a pic of her.
Give us a run down of the lights and heat you are using and temps, day, night, basking and cooler side.
What is the actual humidity? It won't be the same if she is in an inside enclosure as it is outside.
he has Reptisun hood light T5 HO and a heat lamp. Her basking temp is around 95 and the cool temp is 70. I spray the table with water and very morning and flip substrate weekly. I have plants and isopods in her box also. She does like hibiscus, not crazy about prickly pear. Plantain, dandelion and clover were her fav. But she is not eating much this week.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I got Trixie about a month ago from a very dry climate and the moisture here even a few hours a day has been too much of a change too fast. She is being treated for shell rot, but her poop has always looked strange to me.

I took a sample to the vet yesterday to check for worm overload. Waiting for results. She has been through so many changes in the last month l’m worried. She will eat pumpkin and Mazuri but not wanting her plantain. So I’m mixing them.

Here is a picture of her poop.
It appears that the foods are not being digested properly. I don't see any obvious worms, but that will be much more readily determined by the stool sample you took to your vet.

Regardless of whether the tortoise needs to be wormed or not, I would recommend putting a healthy dose of Avian/Reptile Bene-Bac on its food to help with digestion going forward. It is like the probiotics humans take, but for reptiles. When I was raising tortoises, I put this on their food at least once a month and sometimes twice a month. It comes as a gel or a powder. Apparently the powder is rather hard to find right now.

Here is a link to the gel: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002TR4S0/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Maryville Tennessee
Here ya go
It appears that the foods are not being digested properly. I don't see any obvious worms, but that will be much more readily determined by the stool sample you took to your vet.

Regardless of whether the tortoise needs to be wormed or not, I would recommend putting a healthy dose of Avian/Reptile Bene-Bac on its food to help with digestion going forward. It is like the probiotics humans take, but for reptiles. When I was raising tortoises, I put this on their food at least once a month and sometimes twice a month. It comes as a gel or a powder. Apparently the powder is rather hard to find right now.

Here is a link to the gel: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002TR4S0/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
Thank you so much. I appreciate it. Will order today.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Shell rot happens on the bottom shell. You didn't show the bottom shell. The only thing I can see is what looks like some rubbing.
If there is actually shell rot on the bottom shell, it only needs to be treated with some antifungal cream like humans buy for themselves and a dry top layer of substrate but the under layer being damp
Also for her size, that enclosure is too small. That's a hatchling size enclosure. If they can't have enough room to roam a lot, they will have troubles with their digestion and walking.

Maryville Tennessee
Shell rot happens on the bottom shell. You didn't show the bottom shell. The only thing I can see is what looks like some rubbing.
If there is actually shell rot on the bottom shell, it only needs to be treated with some antifungal cream like humans buy for themselves and a dry top layer of substrate but the under layer being damp
Also for her size, that enclosure is too small. That's a hatchling size enclosure. If they can't have enough room to roam a lot, they will have troubles with their digestion and walking.
Thank you so much. I have a big table being built next week. She has a 3x12 area outside but it has rained a lot here. We will work on all of it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you so much. I have a big table being built next week. She has a 3x12 area outside but it has rained a lot here. We will work on all of it.
That's great. If the inside one is only used for very short stays, it's okay as is. But, if it's for long term, like winter months, then it does need to be bigger.
As for the rains, if she has a hide outside, she can be left out and let her choose to stay in the hide or go into the rain, as long as it's warm out, not a cold weather rain. Many love being in the rain.
It's been so hot here in Chicago,that I have had cold water sprinklers going half the day, not only adding to the already high humidity, which is good for them, but to help cool them down, as temps were triple digits. They loved being out in the sprinkler.