Strange Tortoise Shell

KylKirb

Location (City and/or State)
United States
I have owned Kirby, my Russian Tortoise for about two years. I purchased him from PetSmart (not knowing any better) and he had a pretty rough shell with signs that he had possibly once had shell rot. His shell was always great health, it was hard, good color, and I never had any problems with it. Recently I noticed a small band around the back of his shell that was lighter than the rest. I did a quick search and found that it was from rapid growth. So I then scaled back his food and hoped it would get better. It hasn't really appeared to get better. I am aware that any damage done to a shell is permanent and will never truly return to its original state, but the stripe appears to be growing more. I don't feed him very much, please leave feedback and tips. Is there anything I'm doing wrong? Thanks! IMG_20180330_211704[1].jpg IMG_20180330_211710[1].jpg KirbShell.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks fine too me. Just the way the new growth is coming in. Be sure to give some humidity, 30-50% in a humid warm hide good.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
You do not need to scale back on his food. Those are growth lines. Which means he is growing and being taken care of. It is a good thing. Does not mean rapid growth.