Strawberry field

LittleLove

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
No it's not bad yet. But it's easier to keep it from happening than it is to get it to stop.
I know you know what you are taking about, but I see other photos of Sulcatas and you folks don't say anything about pyramiding. How is he pyramiding and where?? I got Fred at the end of June is he pyramiding since I got him??

LittleLove

Arizona
You don't want a spot bulb. You want a FLOOD bulb. The spot bulbs are too harsh and will still cause pyramiding even with high humidity.
Okay so more or less you are saying don't use either and just wait til I get that other bulb and the ceramic

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yours looks to just barely beginning. The right set up is important to get him to not start.
I always mention pyramiding. Not on every thread, but on the newbies threads as the ones that have been here for some time has already been informed.
Yours is so slight that it should be very easy to get him to grow smooth. It's always possible it's the angle of the pic too.
But either way, the right enclosed enclosure, high humidity and proper heat and bulbs will keep him smooth.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay so more or less you are saying don't use either and just wait til I get that other bulb and the ceramic
You can use the ceramic one. For now try to get it to the basking temp of 95-100 and that should hold the rest of the enclosure in the 80's. Only you will know by taking the temp in different areas day and night to be sure no temp is below 80. If it is and you have to use the other one, use it. Rather baby is warm than cold. Then get the proper bulb ASAP
The ceramic you have doesn't have to be replaced if it will reach the needed temps and keep the enclosure warm enough, 80 at night. Just check it monthly to be sure it's working.

LittleLove

Arizona
Thank you
Yours looks to just barely beginning. The right set up is important to get him to not start.
I always mention pyramiding. Not on every thread, but on the newbies threads as the ones that have been here for some time has already been informed.
Yours is so slight that it should be very easy to get him to grow smooth. It's always possible it's the angle of the pic too.
But either way, the right enclosed enclosure, high humidity and proper heat and bulbs will keep him smooth.
Thank you Wellington that makes me feel a little better. Like I've said before I am a worry wart. I don't know what I would do if I was causing Fred Pain.
And one more thing, does anyones Sulcata tortoise sleep when you are soaking them??
That'll be it. Sorry for all the questions.
I appreciate you