Strawberry field

LittleLove

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Good morning, hope all is well? I have a couple of questions.
1st one : not that I am feeding Fred Organic Kale every day like I was, and I am only feeding him 1 Strawberry 2 times a week. I wanted to know what if a tortoise or Fred found a field of strawberries and an organic field of Kale??
2nd: Whenever Fred goes to sleep at night he goes in his little house and goes to bed, well I notice every morning when I go to soak him he is really cold well his shell is. Freds enclosure isn't cold but he is. Lately when I soak him it seems like he falls asleep, is that normal and he likes to soak for a
Long time, I don't wake him up in the morning and he sleeps all night. I check on him through out the night that's why I know. Anyways that's it for now, thank you.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
What type of tortoise do you have? Most should not eat fruit

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No fruit,twice a week is too much. If you think you have to give him a strawberry do it no more than twice a month, zero fruit for anything considered a hatchling or junior. However, none at all is better
If he found a field of strawberries, he would eat himself sick or dead. A field of kale, probably the same. More sick than maybe dead.
What are you using to check his temps? How big is he? Does he have heat above and below if an adult not a hatchling?

LittleLove

Arizona
No fruit,twice a week is too much. If you think you have to give him a strawberry do it no more than twice a month, zero fruit for anything considered a hatchling or junior. However, none at all is better
If he found a field of strawberries, he would eat himself sick or dead. A field of kale, probably the same. More sick than maybe dead.
What are you using to check his temps? How big is he? Does he have heat above and below if an adult not a hatchling?
I had ordered a couple of thermometers but not the right ones, I am getting some things I ordered in a couple of days. He is little guy. And he is only getting heat from above

LittleLove

Arizona
I had ordered a couple of thermometers but not the right ones, I am getting some things I ordered in a couple of days. He is little guy. And he is only getting heat from above

Attachments

• 17262415962085236920073680586630.jpg
    17262415962085236920073680586630.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, no fruit!
Get a temp gun along with digital thermometers.
What type of heat are you using, the exact bulbs?
Temps should never go below 80 day and night.

LittleLove

Arizona
Okay, no fruit!
Get a temp gun along with digital thermometers.
What type of heat are you using, the exact bulbs?
Temps should never go below 80 day and night.
I Will order a temp gun today. He's using a basking light and a uvb light. But I ordered a ceramic heat light for at night and a new basking light. I am going to be taking him out in the sun

LittleLove

Arizona
I hope these are the right kinds

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240913-091850_edit_1726244621031.png.jpg
    Screenshot_20240913-091850_edit_1726244621031.png.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240913-092613.png
    Screenshot_20240913-092613.png
    185 KB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The ceramic is okay. However, not being a name brand one it will likely not get as hot as they should and won't last long. A name brand one is a little more expect but gets the temp it should and they last years and years
As for the bulb, 160watt is likely too high a watt and if it's a spot bulb it's the wrong kind. Needs to be a FLOOD bulb and 65-100 watt should be high enough.
Cancel the order or return if you can.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Look for these
100 watt for the ceramic and 65-100 watt for the bulb. The bulb in pic comes in 75 watt at PetSmart.
1000002002.png1000002001.png