Stubborn, Shy Rudi the Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

kboyd1995

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Rudi is 5 years old, 7 inches (yes, very small for her age), and quite stubborn. For most of her life, she has simply refused to eat or drink much of anything, but now after rethinking her diet, she seems much more promising. She has her own garden of fresh grasses to herself now and just today she drank water for the first time in a year. I've never known why she is so difficult, but now that I have made this change, she seems like she'll be headed toward a much healthier life. Because of her stubborness, she has also always been rather sedentary, which has not allowed me to have the best relationship with my poor baby. Until now all hope was lost. But, now I want to be jolly good friends, but she won't even let me hand feed her or pet her shell much without hiding. How can I get my little girl to love me?

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
My littlest Jay is like that too. :(. As you can see from profile pic she is the smallest of my two babies. She is very picky what she eats and is extremely shy. She doesn't let her bigger brother bully her though..very strange. When I soak them she acts like she's drowning even though she can touch the bottom...geez! I totally feel your pain! Fortunately she loves her big brother turtle lots and has to be at his side constantly :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises are not stubborn. If she is not eating it is because her food or temps or environment are not to her satisfaction. Or she has some sort of health issue. Find and fix the problem, if its fixable, and the appetite should change.

What are your temps and what lighting and heating are you using?

What has been your soaking routine?

UV? Sunshine?

Also, your tortoise will not "love" you. You might be able to get her to have a positive association with you by hand feeding and gentle petting over time. Some tortoises like to be touched and others don't. Females also tend to be less outgoing and interested in human interaction.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Good to know :) thanks Tom! I will definitely look into those for my Sully!

Status
Not open for further replies.