Stump... 3.5mo and 135g.

ryan57

Location (City and/or State)
PA
1lb today. 454 grams. 6months and 1 week. Eats weeds and all types of grass like nobody's business now.

Rearranged some photos and then digging outside for hours in the sunshine before a soak. Won't be long until you can't see a bill. What a joy!

684433367.JPG684433399.JPGIMG_2085.jpgIMG_2086.jpgIMG_2087.jpg

OliveW

Branford, FL
@ryan57 he's gorgeous! Did he get coconut oiled up for the glamour shots? LOL

I'd be so excited if my boy ever looked this clean and shiny for more than 20 seconds. I'll wash him, and oil him up to look all pretty, and he'll immediately throw dirt up all over his shell. The oil makes it stick even better. 🤦‍♀️

ryan57

PA
Right! Sticky dirt.

Actually no oil today. Tuesday was oil. So during the soak I have a measuring cup and pour the warm water over the shell. Yeah, must be nice. Definitely a fan of the dirt then a soak now. Can't believe how small it was just a few months ago. Hoping Stump is a girl for a more manageable size, if not, it will be a wild ride.

OliveW

Branford, FL
Right! Sticky dirt.

Actually no oil today. Tuesday was oil. So during the soak I have a measuring cup and pour the warm water over the shell. Yeah, must be nice. Definitely a fan of the dirt then a soak now. Can't believe how small it was just a few months ago. Hoping Stump is a girl for a more manageable size, if not, it will be a wild ride.

I don't know 100% that ours is a boy, that's just a guess from an expert here based on what can be seen now and his personality.

He is not even 8 lbs yet and it's already a wild ride. LOL He's very strong, hard headed, and goofy like a puppy. He bosses around hundred pound dogs.

ryan57

PA
Figure some folks here might get a kick out of this...

Stump is now hanging out at 490g or so for a week, almost 7 months old, growing fast and doing great. Designed and building a tortoise house for spring and summer next year and beyond. Why not a timber frame/log home -w- landscaping, landscape lighting and a soaking pool in the outdoor enclosure? Lol. I do CAD work so scaled what I wanted to look at down to tortoise size. It will be insulated with 1.5" foam and air tight with two way doors and insulated windows just like the photo. The final version of the house will be an 8x8 or 12x12 version of this when full grown. Double door on the current version is 14" wide so it will last quite a while. Initially I'll only use one swinging door 7" wide. Don't worry about temps... I have 36" UV, (2) 36" LED's, CRE basking lamp and a small split duct unit for it. Yes, diffused AC and heat for a constant 84 deg tied into our house generator.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/...6-4c05-ad4f-6a7b7045bcb2&tag=exoticpetnetw-20

When I set the foundation I'll cut in a concrete mixing tub to the floor for some substrate to dig and fully insulate. It will be a real, little lighted house in the yard with a large outdoor enclosure. I can't wait until it's finished!!

Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 11.31.00 AM.png
IMG_2101.jpg
IMG_2102.jpg
IMG_2103.jpg

The ridge beam is perfect for hanging fixtures securely at any height and seeing the light through the glass in the evening. Outside landscape lighting will look awesome too.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Stump looks fantastic, keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing the growth journey with us. Think your new tort house will need an extension soon. Keep us posted :) :tort: I assume you have him in a large enclosure so he can stretch his legs and claws?

OliveW

Branford, FL
I'm a major Stump/Ryan/Ryan's Wife fan! You guys rock!

Very much looking forward to watching Stump and his house grow over the years. 🥰

ryan57

PA
Stump looks fantastic, keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing the growth journey with us. Think your new tort house will need an extension soon. Keep us posted :) :tort: I assume you have him in a large enclosure so he can stretch his legs and claws?
He has an 8x8 outdoor enclosure to get UV and dig when not in Kathleen's 16x16 office but I usually walk with him/her when the tortoise is in the mood when I get home. Stump has been known to leave his muggy box after I open the door, walk out the office and down the ramp to the back yard, explore, graze for well over 1/4 mile in an afternoon. Plenty of leg stretching going on. When larger adult I have 1.5 acres or so that will be fenced outside of a proper 32x32 outdoor enclosure that will be adjacent to his small house. When walking, small Stump is supervised like a hawk - (Hawk - also known and referred to now as a Stump remover)

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Sounds like he has landed great tort parents and spacious home. :tort: :)

ryan57

PA
Stumpdate. I weigh in every Tuesday...
IMG_2152.jpg

IMG_1871.jpg
IMG_2154.PNG
We love this tortoise. If anything happened to him we would be soooooo sad.
Whoever made this tortoise is an awesome designer. When I pour warm water over the shell during his soak, toward the front, the scute is raised in the center and sends the water to the 'gutters' so it doesn't get on his head.

Newbabymama

Kansas
Stumpdate. I weigh in every Tuesday...
View attachment 350802

View attachment 350803
View attachment 350804
We love this tortoise. If anything happened to him we would be soooooo sad.
Whoever made this tortoise is an awesome designer. When I pour warm water over the shell during his soak, toward the front, the scute is raised in the center and sends the water to the 'gutters' so it doesn't get on his head.
Sooooo cute. I need all your tips and tricks! 🥰 currently have a tiny 47gram sulcata.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Sooooo cute. I need all your tips and tricks! 🥰 currently have a tiny 47gram sulcata.

Not for long....NBM, not for long!! LOL

Great updates and very cool. Be very careful with the whole "free range" thing with the Beast that is known as Stump.......Clemson used to mosey around here for many years, "see that chair moving across the living room".....but it also was likely the cause of his passing too. I'm not going to tell folks how to care for their guys, but we learn from others.

I'd suggest reading those Sulc care sheets.....they are pretty amazing and are the best I've read anywhere. Actual talent wrote them, not a pet store company so if you see things that maybe you should do differently, maybe you should do them differently....LOL

My little Matilda(box turtle) is 2 yrs, 3mos old.....and prob weighs just over 200gms...........you guys will be looking at something very different in another 18 months! LOL

Stay cool!