Stupid fedex!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
clarkrw3 said:
I lost a adult Panther Chameleon this way...delivered 4 hrs late and got cooked in the truck in early May in AZ. I was in contact with Fedex the whole time and they were contacting the driver who said 3 times I am 20 min out. They covered the shipping but would not cover the animal in any way! They stated that they do not guarantee live delivery!! This animal was shipped with SYR so I would think if they would cover an animal it would be with SYR. Now I get all animals delivered to my office where I always get overnight delivered by 9:30am.

im sorry to hear that. I also get overnight delivered before 10:00 am.
Its so sad when those things happens.

tweeter said:
I'm expecting a package from Fedex today as well (nothing alive tho). When I checked the tracking, it said some packages may be delayed due to snow/ice in KY.

My UPS man is awesome! He even gave me his cell number so I can call him if I'm expecting something that needs to be signed for. If have to go out, I call him and meet up with him to sign and get my goodie.

Hope your baby arrives safely!

i wish one of my drivers are like that. They never give out any numbers to us. My baby actually arrived safe and they are doing good. Thank you!

DixieParadise said:
FedEx has always been a good service for me. Usually ahead of the expected time. I know it can a stressful time when one is waiting for a live package to arrive. I trust that your sender is just as anxious to know that you got your delivery as well.

I hope all turns out well for you. Just take a deep breath and try to relax. Keep us posted.

I received today and its all good. I just have too much bad reputations with trucking companies specailly ups. There was some driver actually tried to steal my package and i had so stress dealing with that problems.

pi01 said:
I use to buy and ship a lot of live coral and learned to use the hold service. Instead of it being put on a truck, exposed to the elements and stress created by the movement it will be delivered to a shelf in a office and wait for you to pick up. In addition, mY local fedex hold facility is open at 8am. A much better alternative.

Wow opens very early.

TylerStewart said:
Neal said:
Assuming the shipper is an authorized live animal shipper with FedEx, I do believe that FedEx will insure the animal. I've never heard of anyone loosing an animal in a shipment so I don't know exactly how the process works if you end up losing the tortoise.

Unfortunately, FedEx won't insure the animal. Part of the "live animal authorization" process requires you to sign a paper that specifically says they aren't responsible for the animal not making it there alive. In their defense, they don't know that the animal was alive to begin with, so for them to back that up is just asking for trouble (for them).

If the box is lost or destroyed, they will insure it for the claim value.... If you don't enter a value, they cover up to $100. If you claim $100 and then ship $500 worth of animals and the box is lost, they will cover it for the $100. If you claim that the box is $500, they'll insure it for that (if it's destroyed or lost), but they'll charge you extra for anything over $100 that you claim (the higher your claim value is, the more expensive the shipment is going to be). In any case, they won't guarantee the animal made it there alive.

Since shipments are almost never lost or destroyed, there's no real reason to put a claim value higher than $100. You can put a claim value of $300, but if the animals get there dead, they still aren't going to cover it (and you just paid more for the additional coverage). In years and years of shipping, I can think of one box that was destroyed, and it was from a UPS truck catching on fire with my Russian tortoise shipment in it.

SYR offers live arrival insurance for an additional cost, but there are some requirements along with it (like that you can't ship when low temps are below 38, from what I have been told). Makes any winter shipping pretty hard to do. I've never shipped with SYR, so I don't know the details or requirements of the insurance they offer.

Thanks for the valuable informations. please forgive me about past threads about you guys if you guys felt that as a negative way. Im learning more and more from the lost and trying my best to provide the best needs for beautiful creatures. Im looking forward to get some new enclosure next spring and let me know if you guys have new babies. Thanks!

tweeter

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
Glad he's arrived safe and sound. What time did he get there? And when do we get to see pictures?

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
tweeter said:
Glad he's arrived safe and sound. What time did he get there? And when do we get to see pictures?

They came at like 12 pm. See threads on lepoard tortoise. I have some pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.