Sub Adult to Adult Radiated Tortoises living 100% outside, is a heated house needed?

TommyTheV

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Hi all,

I don't see a whole lot of activity here so hope my question gets answered :)

I live in San Diego which means the weather here is very moderate. Never freezing cold or scorching hot thus my question is, with a sub-adult to adult Radiated, I don't need a heated house if they are 100% outdoors unless temp falls under 55F according to this thread? http://www.chelonia.org/articles/Gradiatacare.htm

Reason I ask is because where I live 300 days of the year nights will be 60F and above so I won't need a heated house, or at least won't need to be "heated" most of the time correct?

Best,

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all,

I don't see a whole lot of activity here so hope my question gets answered :)

I live in San Diego which means the weather here is very moderate. Never freezing cold or scorching hot thus my question is, with a sub-adult to adult Radiated, I don't need a heated house if they are 100% outdoors unless temp falls under 55F according to this thread? http://www.chelonia.org/articles/Gradiatacare.htm

Reason I ask is because where I live 300 days of the year nights will be 60F and above so I won't need a heated house, or at least won't need to be "heated" most of the time correct?

Best,
Yes you do. Especially near San Diego with the coastal influence. Be very leery of taking general advice from people who don't understand your climate. I've lost animals that way. Look for someone who has success with the species in a climate near and similar to yours. @Rodriguez Chelonians may have more insight than me.

During a lot of those above 60 nights its very damp, and the next day doesn't get all that warm. I keep mine in night boxes every night, both for temperature control and also to protect them from rats, predators, dogs, ants, etc... I set the boxes at 70 when daytime highs are 90+. The rest of the year the night boxes are set to 80, and I use a heat lamp over them during the day in winter when daytime highs aren't getting out of the 60s.

They will fare MUCH better with an insulated temperature controlled shelter.

TommyTheV

San Diego, CA
Thank you Tom,

Stumbled upon this care sheet while researching more. Saw that it referrenced you which is awesome.

Based on that and you have said, the coastal influence does help in terms of humidity but no so much of that night overcast/dew making it damp. With that being said if I can set up a nigh box with a hound heater plugged into a thermostat and set it to 78F I should be worry free for the most part?