Subspecies identification

Kobethetort

Location (City and/or State)
Great Britain
Hi all, I'm looking for some help. I've had my tortoise for about 1 year now and I have never managed to work out the subspecies. His documentation only states Testudo graeca. I have attahced some photos and I appreciate any helpful advice.

PhilipIMG_20180522_173740.jpg IMG_20180522_173818.jpg IMG_20180522_173801.jpg IMG_20180522_165534.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Looks like a Testudo graeca nabeulensis to me. Let Chris confirm though, as he is the definitive expert with Testudo!

Kobethetort

Great Britain
Thank you so much Markw84 for your help. Im eager to find out because I know they require different living conditions. I'm currently keeping his enclosure humid to try and prevent pyramiding but Ive just read that nabeulensis should not have humid or wet conditions. Seems strange to me that the paperwork doesn't state subspecies. Seems an important piece of info.

Wolfpackin

Colorado
I thought I would add pictures of my tortoise to your thread because there seems to be many similarities between our tortoises.
Ours was sold to us as a "Greek Ibera" tortoise.
After seeing your pictures I'm only now noticing how much orange coloration mine has, especially on the plastron. odd.

If anyone can confirm mine as an Ibera, I would appreciate it.

T1.jpg T2.jpg

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Philip and wolfpackin, you both have Testudo graeca ibera and appear to derive from different areas in their natural range. Most likely northern territories as southern specimens are much different.

Also, paperwork only states species, not subspecies unfortunately. That’s just the lackadaisical way it’s done.

Wolfpackin

Colorado
Philip and wolfpackin, you both have Testudo graeca ibera and appear to derive from different areas in their natural range. Most likely northern territories as southern specimens are much different.

Also, paperwork only states species, not subspecies unfortunately. That’s just the lackadaisical way it’s done.

Thanks for the information.

It looks like the northern most natural range of this sub-species is in Romania, to the Macin Mountains, maybe northern Georgia.
Do you think my tortoise derives from these regions or somewhere else?

I'd love to be able to research the most likely natural habit and weather conditions found in that region for my tortoise.

Many Thanks.

Last edited: