Substrate from Lowe's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
Is there anything decent I can buy at Lowe's? I'm in a rural area and stores here are limited, but we do have a Lowe's. I'm reading about all sorts of mosses and substrates, and its all a foreign language to me (not a plant person, so I'm googling everything). I could order stuff online, but that is costly.

Suggestions?

He's on that nasty reptile dirt stuff now. Very messy and stinks. I'm not happy with it. It was all Petco had in a rush.

Sandy in Oregon
Veterinary Technician, 21 years of critter luvin'
Schlomo aka "Mo" the rescue Sulcata, "man without a face"
Dexter and Lola (Basenjis...show dogs extraordinare)

No kids, no husband, just critters and I'm happy.
Sent from my iPad using TortForum mobile app

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I never found anything at Lowes that was as as good or as cheap as coconut coir. I was always concerned about what the were not telling me about the product. I didn't want bark or mulch and the soil all seemed to have additives of some sort. For less than $10 I got coconut coir that lasted at least 18 months. I just had to sanitize it once or twice during that time. Not sure what you are using, but they are all messy until they get used and packed down a bit.
Here is what I used:
http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...substrates/-/zoo-med-eco-earth-3-pack-bricks/

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Makes sense, but am I not supposed to change his bedding weekly? So it wouldn't get packed down. I'm a neat freak so I'm changing all of it. Just so messy and stinky, even new.

Sandy in Oregon

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
The coco coir shouldn't be messy or smelly. I actually like the smell, but then again I've been gardening since the age of four so that might attribute to that. If its causing a huge mess, I think it might be too dry. When I was raising my first tortoise dry, I would have TONS of dust. Now that I have the proper humidity levels I don't have this issue. I do, however, buy my sphagnum moss from Lowe's. It's in the orchids section. I mix that with two bricks of coir, then use reptile orchard bark on the top level of substrate to keep the floors dryer than the lower levels.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Is like to find somewhere local to by the coco coir. Seems I can only mail order it. These reptile bricks are awful. Made the entire house stink! Even friends complained.
I don't have the money to buy things in bulk, but I guess I may have to, or come up with a different idea. I like th orchid moss idea since I can get that at lowes. Maybe Petco can special order it. I just hate to give them business.

Sandy in Oregon

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I buy plain top soil from Lowes. Look for the cheapest top soil they have then check to make sure of no additives. Works well, I put coco coir on top of the top soil and add sow bugs ( aka Rolly poleies) to keep the substrate clean.

Remove any large piece of uneaten food the bugs will take care of the rest.

Good luck.

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
Do you have any plant nurseries or hydroponic shops near you? My aunt has a hydroponics shop and plants her seedlings in coco coir since it retains moisture so well. Also amazon sells 3 bricks for something close to $4 I believe.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Any hardwood, cypress, or orchid mulch is great. Like stated above. Make sure it has no colors, weeding agents, or added chemicals. Typically the cheapest stuff is just natural pure mulch. Same with top soil. Just plain dirt. They also sell bails of sphagnum or peat moss. Just look at the labels and know what your buying. A lot of times they will be in clear bags too, so you can see what it consist of. Some times perlite(tiny white balls) will be added to soils. Steer clear of that, if ingested could present issues to your tortoise(s). You typically wont see perlite added to plain top soil though. Mainly it is added to bedding mix, or garden soil. That is a mixture of mosses, soil, and mulch. I would just buy each one individually and mix your own "tortoise mix" instead of bedding or garden mix. Good luck in finding what your looking for.

lindseyjordan10

5 Year Member
They sell the eco earth coco coir at petsmart and probably petco too. They also have it already loose so you don't have to put it in water to make it expand.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Sandi,
What I use is a 50/50 by volume mix of organic top soil and peat moss. Peat moss is just decomposed sphagnum moss and is typically organic. I get mine at wilco. I know you've got to have a wilco near you. They dominate the Oregon landscape.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
There's a Wilco up the street! Yay!!!

Sandy in Oregon

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I knew it! I get my limestone flour there as well for next to nothing. It's organic and almost pure, natural calcium.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use some stuff that is just like the Petco orchid bark stuff, but its called "Pathway Bark" at Lowes. Its like $4 for a 2 cubic foot bag.

You don't ned to change your substrate weekly, or ever. Just spot clean it. And I always pack mine down. Its too messy if you leave it loose. It works quite well if you pack it down and let it "set".

Haira32

5 Year Member
My local hardware and garden store has blocks of coco coir on sale for a dollar. They also have a seeding mix that is a coco coir and peat moss mix.

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
Re: RE: Substrate from Lowe's?

lkwagner said:
Wait why can't you get coco coir at petco?

You can, its just often times cheaper elsewhere. Like a $4 bag of spaghum moss at Lowes vs the $15 one at Petsmart.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Just checked, my Petco has CC for $6.99 a brick.
I will check Wilco today at lunch.

Thanks a bazillion everyone, I really appreciate all the tips and suggestions. I'm learning tons, having a blast, enjoying my new friends (bi and quadrupedal)...so thankful for everyone.

I will try to hit Lowes tonight. I'm on a steep budget right now.

Sandy in Oregon

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Based on numerous posts and PM's, I stopped at Wilco (local chain farm store) and bought a big bag of bark mulch and a bigger bag of peat moss.

I dumped it in Mo's kiddy pool (his current enclosure while I figure out just what I can do with him on limited funds and limited space in a rental house), and he's already happier!

ImageUploadedByTortForum1375326478.271035.jpg

He was playing in his "pond" a few minutes ago, so it's full of peat. The tipped over basket is his new hidy-hole, and he made a huge mess of his alfalfa...which so far is the only thing he consistently eats.

We did a fecal today, no parasites!!!
I've been supplementing him with Oxbow Critical Care diet via feeding tube to make sure while I figure his situation out.

I'm in love, and I'm doing my best to provide him a proper home. Picking up UV lamp and other goodies tomorrow as I found a Craigslist score...someone getting rid of a ton of Tort supplies for $100!!! We'll see what I can find, it's like Christmas!!!

Thanks again, and I am open to any and all suggestions. Positive criticism welcome,

Sandy in Oregon

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.