Substrate Help!

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
So I've always used Peat Moss but they stopped selling my kind over a year ago. I've been using the only kind I can find which is an organic kind from Canada.

My problem is, a day or two after putting it in it turns to complete dust. It rises through his screen top and getting all over the furniture and even on me. Sometimes I blow my nose and traces of Peat Moss is on the tissue. Sorry TMI. Watering it doesn't help at all. I have to turn it to mud for it to hold any moisture a few hours later it's back to dust.

I need something new. I just can't deal with this stuff anymore. My problem is I live in the city so no feed stores around and I don't have a WalMart near me, they aren't big up here in Boston. I pretty much just have a Home Depot.

I need help! What can I use? Something that is going to last but isn't ridiculously expensive. He has a large indoor enclosure so I need something that comes in a big enough bag to cover his habitat.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
The peat they sell at my Home Depot has to be thoroughly soaked before use in order not to send dust everywhere. It's actually quite difficult to mix with water without a lot of patience (but can be done if you have a big tub and a few hours to kill with stirring). Coco coir is another possible substitute - it too needs to be soaked first, but I find it's easier to wet than peat (although harder to find in the jumbo bags that peat is sold in). Cypress mulch or orchid bark (fir mulch) are alternatives that require minimal prep. Failing that, regular old earth from outside (that you know hasn't been treated with pesticides) can cover a large space cheaply.

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
The peat they sell at my Home Depot has to be thoroughly soaked before use in order not to send dust everywhere. It's actually quite difficult to mix with water without a lot of patience (but can be done if you have a big tub and a few hours to kill with stirring). Coco coir is another possible substitute - it too needs to be soaked first, but I find it's easier to wet than peat (although harder to find in the jumbo bags that peat is sold in). Cypress mulch or orchid bark (fir mulch) are alternatives that require minimal prep. Failing that, regular old earth from outside (that you know hasn't been treated with pesticides) can cover a large space cheaply.

Thank you for your reply. I've used Cypress mulch on top of the peat moss but I can't find it at Home Depot, I've asked them. I've only been able to get small bags at PetCo. It would cost me hundred of dollars in those bags to fill his enclosure.

I should've been more clear in my question. I know some of what I can use. But what can I use that can be found in large quantities at Home Depot or another place that they tend to have in large cities?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I use a layer of Orchid bark covered by a layer of potting soil and compost mixed. I pour water into the corners and the Orchid bark picks it up.
(For my Redfoot)

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Maybe bulk cypress mulch and coco coir are regional products for homedepot then, but you can definitely find them both on their .com website. I assume you've checked online to see if another Home Depot in your area carries them?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I think I've seen that. Is it hard to keep moist?

Many plant media have a sort of "hydrophobic" property. If you've ever had a potted plant, you'll notice that water goes down the path of least resistance. Usually that's down the sides of the pot instead of *through* the medium. It's a pain in the butt for gardeners, but it happens often.. especially when the medium is dry.

That being said, I keep my medium moist from day one. If it dries out, no matter what I use, it'll be harder to rehydrate. I have a bioactive substrate, so those pillbugs and worms depend on me to keep it moist and humid.

Last edited: