substrate/humidity issues

tinkthetortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
hi everyone, we've moved house today and we have changed my torts substrate to the zoomed coconut fiber (from the bricks), but made the mistake of not preparing it sooner. we've tried to let it dry out as much as possible but it's still really damp and the glass doors of our vivarium are getting condensation on no matter how much we wipe it - we also need to order a new hygrometer so i'm not too sure what the levels are in there. we're thinking of letting the substrate dry out a bit over night and leave the heat lamp on to hopefully help this - would my tink be okay in a box with some hay (just this once) overnight? the temperatures will be regulated and stay at what they would be in the tank anyway for him. any advice for getting the substrate to dry out would be great, i know all of this happened because of my mistake but it definitely won't be happening again! and if anyone thinks this whole thought is a bad idea please let me know - thank you.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Actually Russians need higher humidity when they are young, so don't let it dry out completely, keep it damp. As long as it's not soaking wet, it will be fine. Heat and humidity are important, and just provide a dry hide/area for the tortoise to go to should it choose.

Reactions: Tom

tinkthetortoise

Uk
Actually Russians need higher humidity when they are young, so don't let it dry out completely, keep it damp. As long as it's not soaking wet, it will be fine. Heat and humidity are important, and just provide a dry hide/area for the tortoise to go to should it choose.
my boys 11! i've been told so much contradicted information about keeping it humid - what would you recommend? also i'm paranoid about it getting cooler for the night and it being wet, will that not make it even colder? apologies if i sound silly asking things like this - just want to be sure he's okay.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You want the substrate damp, but not wet. This is all by feel. If its too wet you can run a fan on it with the heat lamp on and doors wide open.

Condensation can form even wen its not that wet. It just means that its warmer inside and colder in the room outside the glass.

tinkthetortoise

Uk
You want the substrate damp, but not wet. This is all by feel. If its too wet you can run a fan on it with the heat lamp on and doors wide open.

Condensation can form even wen its not that wet. It just means that its warmer inside and colder in the room outside the glass.
thank you for this information - you lot are great. i think i'm just being paranoid with the move and by feel it is just damp come to mention it, thank you for the relief! it is sticking to him a lot though, is this normal? he's a right mess but i'm pretty sure that's just how it is with substrates like this

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
The coco coir (fiber) is very messy. I use cypress mulch covered with Reptibark (fine fir bark) . On the east coast that is the cheapest way to get the best substrate Fine Fir Bark. It just out performs and looks so much nicer.

Redwood City, CA, United States
If it happens again just take a majority of it out and give it a good wringing like a sponge or place between newspapers and just press that excess water out and put back in. Coco coir is the bomb. And use it as compost in your garden when time to clean or your houseplants And you'll find you won't need to water as often because it retains that moisture.

tinkthetortoise

Uk
hi again, i've got the hygrometer set up now and it's at just above 70% - is this okay?