1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Substrate question

Discussion in 'Tortoise Enclosure Substrate' started by lacrime, Jan 10, 2018.

1. lacrime

lacrime Member

Hello~

I’m currently keeping a tortoise I found in the garden. She’s a mature tort, and after asking for advice here on the forum, I’ve decided to keep her in for the winter.

I already have two tortoises I keep out in the garden so I have no idea about indoor arrangements but did have a read on the care sheets posted on here. It’s a bit difficult finding the different kinds of substrate where I live-it’s a small town where people either don’t know or don’t care much about these animals. But I did find a product and was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is alright?

http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/plantation_soil_brick.php

This is not the actual site I’ll buy from but it’s the same product. Any help is appreciated, thank you. I’ll look for a place like garden depot or something to try and find what I’m looking for as well, but I’d like to know if this can be a choice for me in any case.

8318D40F-4A63-4077-9D6F-7C2B3348FAB7.jpeg
    Kristoff likes this.
  2. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Supporter

Location (City and/or State):
    Clovis, CA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Yes, that's fine to use. Quite a few folk on here use it. We call it coco coir.
    lacrime likes this.
  3. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member

Southern California
    That one will work, but it can be messy. I prefer fine grade orchid bark.
    lacrime likes this.
  4. lacrime

lacrime Member

Thank you. I read coco coir on the care sheet, but couldn’t find it when searched with that name, couldn’t translate it right.

What do you mean messy? I’m okay with cleaning things up, just wouldn’t want to ruin the enclosure. And I searched for orchid bark as well, but the same thing as with coco coir. Can’t find it when searching. I’ll try garden suppliers in any case. Thank you!
  5. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Supporter

Clovis, CA
    It's small pieces, similar to large dirt particles. They track it all over the food and into the water.
    lacrime likes this.
  6. lacrime

lacrime Member

Ah, I get it. Well, I’ll make do if that’s the only sure thing I can find for substrate. Thanks again!