Substrate Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Hello Again All,

I Have a 1.5 inch hatchling Cherry Head, and its my first so trying to get things right here with as little errors as possible. My question is which substrate combo is best for my little one? Ive done some research and found that coconut, cypress mulch and sphagnum moss seem to be ideal for maintaining moisture levels. Where im getting confused is deciding which is "best". Is a mixture of the 3 ok? If yes, what ratio of each?... If not, why not? And what mixture should i use? I currently have a 36x18x12 aquarium, if size is even a relevant factor? lol...Any insight is as always much obliged.

Regards,

TZ

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I use cypress mulch, mainly because I don't want to deal with the mess of coco coir and soil type bedding.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
There is NO 'best', as it depends on what you can get, your temps and humidity levels, tank size, if you plan on growing plants or a bioactive system in the soil, etc.

Having said that, I personally most like two basic options.

1. Cypress mulch or orchid bark (fine-grade Douglas pine), or
2. A soil mix of things like clean top soil, sand, humus or leaf mulch, mosses, etc. Add some good old garden soil, worms, and rolly pollys and you'll have a 'bioactive substrate' in which the micro-organisms and other things work together to help digest small amounts of food or waste. Once the system is running well, it also does not smell, produce pests, or stick to the tortoises.

The mulch is cheap and lightweight- an important consideration in some settings, while the bioactive substrate offers a nicely naturalistic setting, but it does need a largish area for best results.

Status
Not open for further replies.