Substrate Too Wet

Zantino1

Location (City and/or State)
Redlands
Help my sulcata’s substrate is too wet, to the point when I press on it, it “leaks”
What should I do I use coco coir

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
In my opinion, that’s perfectly fine. I don’t think you can over wet a substrate unless it’s to the point where it’s more water than substrate. It would probably dry out after a week or less in a proper, no less than 80 degree enclosure.
Could we see a picture?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It is fine. Make sure temps stay 80 day and night with the 95-100 basking spot and it will dry out to where you want it. Your sully won't get shell rot. If you want to give him a dry place to get on, put a flat rock or piece of tile in. Otherwise just let it dry some.

Zantino1

Redlands
For some reason again won’t let me upload images it works for a couple of days then stops
but yes the temp is usually around 80 or higher
The thing is I have a tortoise table which I’ve had for a while because when I got my tort it was “the best enclosure” for a tortoise so that’s what my dad built for her.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
For some reason again won’t let me upload images it works for a couple of days then stops
but yes the temp is usually around 80 or higher
The thing is I have a tortoise table which I’ve had for a while because when I got my tort it was “the best enclosure” for a tortoise so that’s what my dad built for her.

Definitely not the best enclosure. Your tortoise needs 80% or higher humidity, and it is impossible to hold humidity in an open enclosure. You need to build a cover for it. Make a frame out of something, PVC pipes for example, and cover it with a medium or heavy weight shower curtain. Lack of humidity is what causes pyramiding, and often stunts growth.IMG_0703.jpg

Zantino1

Redlands
Definitely not the best enclosure. Your tortoise needs 80% or higher humidity, and it is impossible to hold humidity in an open enclosure. You need to build a cover for it. Make a frame out of something, PVC pipes for example, and cover it with a medium or heavy weight shower curtain. Lack of humidity is what causes pyramiding, and often stunts growth.View attachment 237473

Yea I’ll try to do something like that
I got a humidifier which keeps the humidity up but that’s what I think got it so wet

Zantino1

Redlands
It will dry in a few days. Maybe in one day in an open topped table.

Fine grade orchid bark works much better.

Yea I just got it as it seemed that it was getting recommended a lot by people

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California