Double substrate

Myroli

I currently use just coco coir, but when I turn on Ki's humidifier it causes the coco coir to stick to him (and gets him all wet till I turn it back off)I only have it on for a few hours sometimes everyday, sometimes I skip and do every few days (I have a closed chamber)but I was wondering if using either sphagnum moss or orchard bark with the coco coir would help keep him a bit cleaner? And if so, which would work better?

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I find orchard bark to be less sticky , but really. Torts get dirty. They don't care
You should see my sulcata when he comes out of his burrow. On rainy days can't tell where the mud stops and the tortoise starts. :)

Myroli

I don't mind much, it's just I also thought maybe it would help keep him a bit drier to the touch so he doesn't get shell rot or anything from being wet a lot

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would use the bark as some torts try to eat the moss and it can cause problems, but sulcata are not prone to shell rot.

Myroli

I know but I figured why risk being that like 1% that does get it, right?

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Speedy is a digger , so I use the bark . I need to soak it down a little more often , but it is nicer . I am sure it bothers me a lot more than it bothers Speedy ! :D