Substrate: tortoise happy, cat avoid?

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Ok so I keep Franklin in a plastic tub when I'm home from work until bed during the winter because he gets bored and sad. I've had it for the almost 2 years he's been in my life and he's enjoyed it and my cat wouldn't even look twice at it, and the cat had no access to the area when people weren't around. But yesterday I caught the cat, while we were all in the room, decide to see in it, thankfully Franklin was actually not in it at that point. We dumped the repti-bark that was in it. I know I can't put new bark in there since he will most likely do it again. I assume that and the cocochoir will be just the same appeal to the cat. Any ideas that I can try? I was thinking old towels folded and crumpled, would Franklin like them ok? Any better ideas? I want to get it fixed up quick so he'll be able to join us again asap.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Easy fix. Put a lid on it. Coconut coir just for your info, does vacuum up very easily.:D. I would not use towels, only more natural substrates.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Coco coir would be more attractive to the cat than the bark. Put a lid on it or make it so the cat doesn't have access. Years ago I had that same problem. The cats never bothered my box turtles, but like to use their habitat as a litter box.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
My plan is to start covering it when Franklin's not in it, but my problem is the cat walked right in and peed when we were right there watching TV, it's not like he snuck in, I'm afraid I wouldn't catch him again and don't want to cover it with Franklin in it, my only other idea is put the new mulch in and put tape sticky side up lacing the top to make it unattractive to the cat. I like the towel idea but don't think Franklin will or be able to burrow

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well, if the cat is so bold to do the business in the box when you are there...I would get a spray bottle, fill it with water and lay wait for the pee monger to attack again...then let it rain baby, let it rain (just be sure the rain does not touch your lamp/heat source...

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I had to to dump the old mulch and I'd be darned if I put a brand new bag in to wait for it to be soiled. I also don't want to screw with the cats training and have him not use his own box. But after yelling at the cat and somewhat passing less attention to him lately he seems to know I'm mad. Cleaned out the container today and currently have a mat and a towel bundled up on on end as a burrow shelter area. It's no where near ideal but he's only in it at night for a few hours because he gets grumpy in his home, so I talk to him from the couch. I've learned tortoises are a individual thing, he loves being near people and tv and acts grumpy and sad in this house in the winter because his huge outdoor area is a no go in New England's winter. I have new mulch, don't know if I want to risk putting it in to loose it to waste he didn't seem to even care it was different, huge crawled right under the towel tent into the corner and took a nap.
And the spray bottle would have been fine light wise, the heat is our wood burning stove, and the UV he gets all day so the few hours that stays in his real enclosure. Coincidently the wood stove is also the surefire way he'll be ok in event of power outage, my dad looks out for him too sometimes they worry more than me!