1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Substrate troubles

Discussion in 'Tortoise Enclosure Substrate' started by DARKFIRE007, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Eduardo Hernandez

Eduardo Hernandez Active Member

If you only need one bag for the whole enclosure, then its way too small. If you post pics of your enclosure we could help you a lot more.
    TechnoCheese likes this.
  2. Cheryl Hills

Cheryl Hills Well-Known Member

If the substrate is to dry it can still be an issue even if you are soaking. You will not have enough humidity in the tank and this causes the tort to dry out. Just what I have learned from the forum.
    Jay Bagley and TechnoCheese like this.
  3. zovick

zovick Well-Known Member

Don't use Aspen shavings! I have had tortoises die from intestinal impactions from eating those shavings back in my early days (even though I never saw a tortoise eating them, it was proven by necropsy). Stick with the cypress mulch or orchid bark. FWIW, I have been using cypress mulch for years now with no problems (since Eucalyptus mulch became unavailable in my area). If you are close to the FL border, you could buy my all-time favorite bedding, Eucalyptus mulch, there. For some reason it is no longer sold anywhere except FL. The Bronx Zoo used this mulch for almost all their reptile exhibits for many years while I was affiliated with them. Here are links to what I am recommending:

https://www.scotts.com/en-us/products/mulch-soil-garden/scotts-florida-selecttm-eucalyptus-mulch

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Timberline-2-cu-ft-Eucalyptus-Mulch-52058774/100598763
  4. Cheryl Hills

I would think eucalyptus could be harmful due to its smell. I never heard of using it. But I don’t know. I would be Leary of it.
  5. zovick

zovick Well-Known Member

The odor is not harmful to the animals in any way, and the odor actually is a completely natural way to repel insects. I used Eucalyptus mulch for 35 plus years with no troubles at all. Also, did you read where I said that the Bronx Zoo used it in all their reptile exhibits for the 30 years I worked with them (and probably for more years both before and after that)?
    Cheryl Hills and TechnoCheese like this.
  6. Cheryl Hills

7. Ray--Opo

Ray--Opo New Member

I use cypress mulch for my sulcata. Just bought some organic soil to mix with the mulch. When I got home I noticed it has natural fertilizer in it. Should I look for another organic soil?