substrate type?

navycop2004

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
What kind of substrate should I be using for my red foot? Her PVC enclosure is 8x4x4, I have been using the coconut fiber mix, but now that she has a bigger home, I was thinking of a different kind of a mixture so I can also grow live plants? Also how deep should I have it all be?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What kind of substrate should I be using for my red foot? Her PVC enclosure is 8x4x4, I have been using the coconut fiber mix, but now that she has a bigger home, I was thinking of a different kind of a mixture so I can also grow live plants? Also how deep should I have it all be?
The best substrate for a RF is fine grade orchid bark. This is because the lower layers can be a little damp to promote high humidity, while the upper layers remain dry-ish to prevent shell rot. 3-4 inches is a good depth.

Plants will need to be in pots. There is no safe soil to use for a tortoise to live on. Soil is made form composted yard waste and all sorts of other weird stuff. The makers and sellers do not intend for small animals to be living on it, and it could be toxic or dangerous in any ways. Its fine for growing plants, but not as tortoise substrate. Get soil with no chemical additives and no perlite.