Substrate wet or dry?

amyrothmeyer

I've read conflicting forums/websites/books on wether or not it's beneficial or necessary to keep the substrate in the tank damp. I have a redfoot tortoise between the ages of 1 to 2 years old and I live in Colorado, it is very dry here and it has helped with keeping the humidity up however what I'm reading now says to keep it dry as red foots are prone to shell rot, and help would be appreciated ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407891599.576361.jpg

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
I'd say moist soil, not sopping wet, but definitely not dry. The substrate is what holds the moisture in the enclosure. I'm not a Red-footed tortoise keeper, but I did grow up in the Amazon. Humidity there varies between 75% (that's really dry! :D ) and 90%.

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
I wpuld suggest mixing what you have now with EcoEarth. It holds moisture really well.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RF need a higher humidity while keeping the top layer of substrate dry because yes, they are more prone to shell rot then other high humidity torts.

amyrothmeyer

I will have to get some of the Eco earth, it seems to be popular. I also have sphagnum in the tortoises log, tortellini likes to burry himself in it. It holds moisture very well.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yes coco coir is very good :D Moss is good, it raises the humidity too. another way to keep it moist in there is to add live plants. They add fresh sir too!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You can offer a couple warm humid areas in the enclosure/space...this way the tort can move about to micro climates...dry for shell dry out and health and then humid warm spots for the times the torts needs to juicy up a bit....peat moss is a good substrate as well. If you are going to run a all humid enclosure then please do not let the temps ever ever, did I say ever...drop below 80 degrees....