Substrate

lisa morton

Location (City and/or State)
Burbank, Illinois
I'm in the process of setting up a new indoor enclosure. I had purchased 6 bricks of coco coir, sphagnum moss and a bag of cypress mulch. I was doing some reading on here and just realized that my cypress mulch is old castle no float blend. I sent an e-mail to the company to find out what it is blended with. I am looking at home depot and lowes for some type of cypress mulch, orchard bark, or top soil that is organic and I seem to be striking out. One of the organic top soil says organic compost and aged pine bark fines. Another says Contains a blend of organic materials to feed plants naturally. Lowes pathway bark states garden time dark brown pine bark mulch. In my last enclosure I just used the coco coir but in this one I would need way too many bricks. Any suggestions?

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Don't feel bad , our Lowes has pathway bark which consists of and I quote ; "Consists of forest products and dye." really helpful ! :rolleyes: I ended up buying a couple bags of reptibark at Petco , kept it good and moist and it worked just fine ! :)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Where are you buying your coir?

lisa morton

Burbank, Illinois
I'm going to go to home depot and lowes tonight and see if they have anything maybe not on their web site. Reptibark might be the way to go if I can't find anything in bulk. I've been buying the coir from foster and smith.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
This time of year all the wal marts around me (so. md and northern neck Va.) carry cypress mulch for $3 a bag.The H D and lowes have the cypress mixed with hardwoods, but does not identify the type of hardwood used.

lisa morton

Burbank, Illinois
I will have to check out walmart. If I don't find something around here soon I will have to order a lot more coco coir bricks.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
When you buy the coir, try to find it at a garden supply vs pet supply store. It's usually cheaper and you can buy it in bulk.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Stopped by walmart today and this is the cypress mulch they have, Cost $2.24 a bag.cypressmulch.jpg This is pure cypress, It says "professional blend" across the top of the bag, but that is referring to the way it is shredded (not a wood mix)

lisa morton

Burbank, Illinois
I have the same bag. It says cypress and other natural forest products. That's why I didn't use it. What are the other products? I contacted the company and never heard back from them. I can't use my garden soil I have fertilizer in it. And I can't dig up my yard.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Home Depot and Lowes will not have what you need.

Go to a garden center and ask for fine grade orchid bark. It should be around $10 for a huge 2.0 cubic foot bag. They will also have large bulk bricks of coco coir for about $12. Its enough to do three 100 gallon tanks for that price, but I'm not a fan of coir for sulcatas. I'm also not a fan of cypress mulch, but any of these three will work for you.

Here is one brand name, but it comes in bigger bags.
shopping.jpeg

I have another bag at my ranch that is a different brand. I'll snap a pic and post it later for you. Your local garden center should be able to order it for you if they don't have it.