Substrate

BabyElsie

I usually use eco-earth with the coconut fibers. What does everybody else use? I like the idea of bigger chunks because it would make less of a mess because she kicks it off of her table but I’m also afraid of her eating it

Attachments

• BDC0BAF0-3A1F-4C98-B72E-40E71F5A765A.jpeg
    BDC0BAF0-3A1F-4C98-B72E-40E71F5A765A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
your substrate needs to hold water so that it can raise the humidity. Substrate with big chunks doesn't do this. You need substrate that is more like earth. Coco coir and fine grade orchid bark are just fine.

If it's flying everywhere then it is too dry! Putting stones round the water dish helps to stop the substrate being dragged into that.

Too properly dampen substrate, take all the decor out, tip in some water from a jug and mix it thoroughly with your hands. Keep going until all the substrate is evenly damp - right into the corners and down to the bottom. Spraying a couple of times a day helps to slow the rate at which it dries. You will, however. need to repeat tipping water in from a jug and mixing every few weeks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Fine grade orchid bark works best for leopard tortoises. You can buy it in bulk at a garden center, not at a hardware store usually.