substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

John

5 Year Member
looking for suggestions on a substrate i use hay now with a humid hide of sphagnum it seems most
157ya0j.jpg
of you on this site use cypress is this correct

J. Ellis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
John,

Apparently I'm catching all your questions today! :D

I've used several things in the past but have decided that I like peat moss over any of them. It retains moisture easily, is cheap, and is easy to clean out. Most on TFO seem to use a combination of peat moss and cypress mulch, or cypress mulch exclusively. In the end, it's your decision. I encourage you to find what's the best for you, and let us know what it is!

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
I also use Peat Moss.
It holds humidity great, and is easy to dig in. It's also really cheap 50lbs for $11

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
For hatchlings I use a combination of all the above. I have a small dry portion of the tank of hay (about 1/3), that is seperated by a wood block from 2/3 cypress mulch. Sitting on top of the cypress mulch I have an upside down shoe box with the lid on filled with peat moss for a humid hide. The hide is kept damp, cypress mulch is sprayed daily and the hay is kept dry. The hay molds easily if wet so the areas closest to the hay I don't spray.

BTW, what are you feeding your torts in that picture? Looks like tortoise salsa!

Status
Not open for further replies.