Substrate

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Can someone give me some options for substrates ??
Please take a moment to read through this at least twice. It will answer the majority of your questions, including this one, and help you tremendously along your journey:

Shelldog

Midlesborough
Please take a moment to read through this at least twice. It will answer the majority of your questions, including this one, and help you tremendously along your journey:
I read it and found the three safe options but idk which brands are safe and ones that aren’t massively expensive. I have the coco coir bricks right now but im making a new enclosure and the bricks were expensive for the volume.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I read it and found the three safe options but idk which brands are safe and ones that aren’t massively expensive. I have the coco coir bricks right now but im making a new enclosure and the bricks were expensive for the volume.
I buy my substrate in bulk at a fraction of the price from plant nursery type places. Here in the US, they sell 10 pound (4.5kg) blocks of compressed coco coir for about $11. That is enough to do a 183x91cm enclosure with 3-4 inches of substrate.

Over there, just don't let the pet shop tell you what to use, as it will almost certainly be the wrong stuff. Most of your tortoise equipment and supplies can be found at a hardware store instead of an expensive pet shop that will tell you the wrong info and sell you the wrong stuff.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Here’s a few links to orchid bark🙂 I know that second one says pine, which threw me through many loops! But after doing some more in depth research, I discovered here in the uk, our orchid bark is pine, however it’s prepped in such a way to make it safe for use, least that’s as far as my research took me, you can use the brand if it makes you more comfortable but it’s the same stuff👍