substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobagsp

5 Year Member
What is the best substrate, humidity,and depth of the substrate for a Russian tortoise?

Thanks.

lorraine

5 Year Member
HI I use topsoil as i have used play sand and topsoil before and both of my tortoises didnt like it so ive changed to topsoil.

I use 3 bags of 25 litres of topsoil I dont know how many inches that is but i can find out for you if you want me to.

bobagsp

5 Year Member
I've never heard of somebody using cypress mulch, I'll look into it. I've also heard of people using coconut coir is that any good?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, the soil in the garden, meaning your tortoise outside on the native soil in the garden, is the best substrate. When I have to have a tortoise in an indoor habitat I prefer orchid bark or cypress mulch. This is usually a hospital type situation. All my tortoises live outside with heated sheds, 24/7/365.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
My guys are loving the new coconut coir in their indoor enclosures. They completely bury themselves in it, and now also emerge to walk around and eat, too. The coco coir seems to be doing a great job of creating a humid microclimate, which is just what Russian tortoises need: dry air with humid microclimate.

I know a lot of people have success with cypress mulch, too, since that also retains moisture well. I used to use it with my redfoot, but I'm not using it now with my Russians.

I'm sure soil outdoors is great, but I have given up on using it indoors; too many insects and fungi growing in it. Yuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.