Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

froggy

5 Year Member
Hi guys I've recently had to change my marginated substrate as I've run out of hemp do I'm using natural grass pellets and also coir cour I think it's called I've had to put this in as I had tiny little insects in his hemp tiny ones barley visable now I left hemp in his bed area and now he seems to spend a lot of time in there which he never used to , he used to live burying himself under his lamp with just his little head showing watching what's going on. Suppose my question is do they get upset with change p.s sorry for the essay lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The pellets are never good to use. The coconut coir is a good substrate. Use that alone and get rid of the pellets. She probably likes the old substrate better. She will get used to the new. Nice though that she is using her house now:)

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
If I understand correctly, you changed out the substrate from hemp to grass pellets and coir, except for the hemp you left in his hide. It would be normal for him to hide in what is comfortable to him. Tortoises don't fancy change much. Give him some time to explore and comfortable.

And second with Wellington on pellets. You might want to even try finding some cypress mulch if you are planning to do another change soon.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Give him some time to get use to it and see if that makes a difference. If not, you can try another type of combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.