Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

micaelalovesmolly

5 Year Member
Hi
I have a 6 year old Greek tortoise and I use sand as a substrate but every day his food and water is all full of sand and his eyes I want to switch substrate but don't know what one
Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am not totally familiar with a proper substrate for your species. However, sand is not recommended, cause blocking problems. So, good thing you want to change. Cypress mulch, coconut coir and plain dirt, not sand are all good.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
For my Greek I prefer a mix of organic humus, coco coir, and long fiber sphagnum moss. And in fact, as time goes on, I am starting to really get hooked on using the moss alone.

Sand should not be used alone, it is too drying and can cause impactions and eye infections.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I'm not sure where in Ireland to get it. Here we can buy it at Petstores like Petsmart or Petco. It is sold under names like EcoEarth and BedABeast. It comes in a hard brick that you soak in warm water until it expands. Maybe you can order it somewhere online.

Word of caution - coconut shell CHIPS are also sometimes called "coir" and are not the same thing. You want the stuff that is soft once it expands.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
It is usually used in potting plants. I buy the Mosser Lee brand here.

images

Again, keep in mind that you want the long fiber moss, NOT "sphagnum PEAT moss." It isn't the same thing.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Peat moss is not the same thing. It is actually quite acidic and can cause issues with shell rot, and if it dries out, it gets VERY dusty. I do not recommend it.

If they eat a little of the sphagnum, it won't hurt them one bit. Much better in the belly than sand.

colatoise

10 Year Member!
South Carolina
I use topsoil and cypress mulch mix. Keep a gradient of 4 inches on shallow side to 8 inches on other side for burrowing. Very easy to clean!

dexter1323

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
micaelalovesmolly said:
Would it be better if I mix top soil with the sand or should I just get rid of it altogether

i would recommend to get rid of the sand altogether...we have a golden greek and he had the same issue...he loved the sand...loved to walk in it, burrow, eat it, step in his water and food and bring the sand with him in there...it ends up being too much ingestion of sand, no matter how little sand you use...

r5az

5 Year Member
Saint Paul,MN
wellington said:
I am not totally familiar with a proper substrate for your species. However, sand is not recommended, cause blocking problems. So, good thing you want to change. Cypress mulch, coconut coir and plain dirt, not sand are all good.

Some people are saying to wet the Substrate or spray it what does this mean?

dexter1323

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
if you wet the substrate, don't over do it - keep it at low humidity. golden greeks do not do require a lot of humidity.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
r5az said:
Some people are saying to wet the Substrate or spray it what does this mean?

The tortoise in this thread is 6 years old. When we talk about a moist substrate, we're referring to baby tortoises under a year of age. Dry is fine for an older tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.