Substrates

LeeB60

Location (City and/or State)
Neola Ut
Is there anything I can put under Dudes orchid bark so he can dig? I believe the orchid bark would help keep it moist. I cannot keep the humidity up in his enclosure. How high should the humidity be?

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Is there anything I can put under Dudes orchid bark so he can dig? I believe the orchid bark would help keep it moist. I cannot keep the humidity up in his enclosure. How high should the humidity be?
Make the orchid bark deeper. My Russian digs down in his just fine. I pour water in to moisten it. If you have an open enclosure, humidity is much more difficult. This is why I switched to a closed chamber set up.

LeeB60

Neola Ut
Make the orchid bark deeper. My Russian digs down in his just fine. I pour water in to moisten it. If you have an open enclosure, humidity is much more difficult. This is why I switched to a closed chamber set up.
One end of my enclosure has a screen top, and his hide is enclosed. I am having a lot of problems with humidity. I do not know what to do about it I've misted his stuff I've even got sprinkled water in there with my hand. I just went and got my misting lamp and I'm going to try setting that up beside his enclosure. It just makes a slight mist. Thank you for your advice.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
One end of my enclosure has a screen top, and his hide is enclosed. I am having a lot of problems with humidity. I do not know what to do about it I've misted his stuff I've even got sprinkled water in there with my hand. I just went and got my misting lamp and I'm going to try setting that up beside his enclosure. It just makes a slight mist. Thank you for your advice.
Pour water in the corners. The bark underneath will absorb it and the top will be dry.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Can you post pictures and give us your temps and humidity details? Why can't the enclosure be closed ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How big/old is your russian? An adult only needs 30 to 50% humidity, a baby needs a closed chamber and 80% humidity.
Coconut coir would work under the bark well and holds moisture well and will not mold.